stryke audio speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2004, 12:43 AM   #1
kspeng is offline kspeng  United States
diyAudio Member

Default stryke audio speakers

has anyone built any of the stryke audio speakers,in particular the s1-mtm. any thoughts or comments. thanks
Old 6th August 2004, 03:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to macmeech
Default S1 MTM

Check out ebay for some great prices.
Old 7th August 2004, 07:00 PM   #3
zachary is offline zachary  United States
diyAudio Member

Default S1-MTM

I just purchased a pair of these sealed cabinets and am in the process of researching the components. I am still very much a newbie speaker builder.

The cutouts on each cabinet are ready for a pair of 7" drivers and a tweeter with a 3" dia magnet.

Stryke sells the SA071 7" driver for a great price ($14 each currently), but they seem like average sound quality.

I wanted to buy a pair a slightly better 7" drivers ($40-50 price range). Can anyone make some recommendations?

For the tweeter I was considering using a horn tweeter, but they seem to be a special class of component... what do I need to know about horn tweeters to effectively use one in my design?

My other thought was to turn this cabinet into a 3-way design. Use the two drivers, but cross them over around 800hz, use a small mid-range in the 3" hole to over 600hz-10khz, and then either find a very small tweeter to inside mount next to the midrange or top mount (similar to B&W or KEF) to cover the top ranges (5khz-20+khz). Is this too ambitious of a design?

Can anyone recommend a whitepaper or FAQ for crossovers, filters, etc..? I find all that stuff very confusing!

TIA!!!
Zach
Old 8th August 2004, 12:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to macmeech
Default Re: S1-MTM

Quote:
Originally posted by zachary
I just purchased a pair of these sealed cabinets and am in the process of researching the components. I am still very much a newbie speaker builder.

The cutouts on each cabinet are ready for a pair of 7" drivers and a tweeter with a 3" dia magnet.

Stryke sells the SA071 7" driver for a great price ($14 each currently), but they seem like average sound quality.

I wanted to buy a pair a slightly better 7" drivers ($40-50 price range). Can anyone make some recommendations?

For the tweeter I was considering using a horn tweeter, but they seem to be a special class of component... what do I need to know about horn tweeters to effectively use one in my design?

My other thought was to turn this cabinet into a 3-way design. Use the two drivers, but cross them over around 800hz, use a small mid-range in the 3" hole to over 600hz-10khz, and then either find a very small tweeter to inside mount next to the midrange or top mount (similar to B&W or KEF) to cover the top ranges (5khz-20+khz). Is this too ambitious of a design?

Can anyone recommend a whitepaper or FAQ for crossovers, filters, etc..? I find all that stuff very confusing!

TIA!!!
Zach
You bought the boxes without the kit, right? Why don't you look at the DAppolito MTM designs on www.madisound.com and www.zalytron.com.
The only way to get a predesigned crossover(xo) is to buy it with the drivers as a kit. I prefer the Seas stuff myself. They have aluminum midbass woofers
in the $50 range and the H881 tweeter for $26.00. There is no exact kit to cover those plus crossover, but there are some close ones like the Seas Froy Mk 3 (AudioXpress 4/2003).

Hide this!Advertise here!