8 Inch Satori Woofer, Any Info?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you're referring to the 7.5" Satori woofer, then copied from a posting by Jonasz at HTGuide.com:

MW19P-4:

Re = 3.4 ohm
Mms = 18.2 g
Bl = 5.6 Tm
Fs = 30 Hz
Rms = 0.75 kg/s
Cms = 1.55 mm/N
Sd = 158 cm^2
Qms = 4.57
Qes = 0.37
Qts = 0.34
Vas = 54.8 ltr.
SPL (2.83 V/1 m) = 90.5 dB

MW19P-8:

Re = 5.9 ohm
Fs = 31 Hz
Mms = 17 g
Bl = 6.9 Tm
Rms = 0.7 kg/s
Cms = 1.55 mm/N
Sd = 158 cm^2
Qms = 4.7
Qes = 0.41
Qts = 0.38
Vas = 55 ltr.
SPL (2.83 V/1 m) = 88 dB

There are also prototypes of 9,5" and a 13,5" drivers being build. Unsure of eventual production though...

9½" (m. 2" voicecoil)
Re = 5.8 ohm
Mms = 40 g
Bl = 9.4 Tm
Fs = 23 Hz
Rms = 1.2 kg/s
Cms = 1.2 mm/N
Sd = 255 cm^2
Qms = 4.82
Qes = 0.38
Qts = 0.35
Vas = 110 ltr.
SPL (2.83 V/1 m) = 88 dB
OD = 242 mm

13½" (m. 3" voicecoil)
Re = 4.2 ohm
Mms = 116 g
Bl = 15.1 Tm
Fs = 20 Hz
Rms = 3.0 kg/s
Cms = 0.55 mm/N
Sd = 572 cm^2
Qms = 4.86
Qes = 0.27
Qts = 0.25
Vas = 254 ltr.
SPL (2.83 V/1 m) = 92 dB
OD = 341 mm

Why wouldn't such good quality drivers play exemplary?
The overall sound quality would depend on the XO filter,
box tuning, placement in the room, etc. MTM in 60 lit
goes as low as F3=40/F6=35/F10=30 Hz, with
SPL of 90 dB/1m in open space. Simulate trial versions.

Mleod, A MTM topology using the 7.5" Satori MW19P would produce very noticable beaming and some comb filtering due to the large center-to-center M-M distance. Near the crossover frequency the soundstage would "move" and SPL would vary at the listener. You might consider a TMM where the lower M is crossed in just to increase bass frequency output. The TMM crossover typically adds an inductor to the TM crossover for the lower M bass driver. You might consider a 3-way TMW using the SB Acoustics 8" SB23NRDS45 woofer. You can find a few diy-designed TMW using the 6 ½” SATORI MW16P with 8" and 10" woofers.

One good MTM paper:
Biro Technology
Vertically Symmetric Two-Way Loudspeaker Arrays Reconsidered

Hello OM, thank's for answers,although, from these, I have not completely clarified my doubts .... I hope someone can consider in a more tight my "idea". However I understand that there may be serious problems already in theoretical and call into question a success of the matter. Intentionally , I had thought of this union in order to increase the sensitivity of the system and therefore have less need for power always aiming at a target very high in terms of sound.
Thanks again waiting for other potential interventions. Ciao.

-mleod-

Mleod, What production model speakers which use 7.5"-8" drivers match your design vision and sound quality goals? Can your amplifier comfortably drive a 3-ohm load, since using 4-ohm MW18P delivers higher efficiency. Same with two 8-ohm woofers in parallel. Same with not requiring a padding resistor to the tweeter to match 8-ohm midrange.

I attached a WinISD plot for the Satori MW19P (4-ohm and 8-ohm) (sealed-box and ported-box) as common usage examples.

Two interesting designs:
1) "Classic" 2-way using ported simple-cuts 1cuft box, -3db @50Hz; Xover LR4 @1600Hz to TW29R tweeter. Time-aligned baffle supports LR2.

2) "Vocal Range" 3-way: using sealed 0.4cuft box for SB19, -3db @90Hz LR4 to pair of side-side 8" SB23 woofers; Xover LR4@1600Hz to TW29R tweeter.

Attachments

• satori 19.JPG
    satori 19.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 572
  • MW19P Ideas.jpg
    MW19P Ideas.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 555
Line Source Hello, thanks for the reply, but I read in another tread anyone asked for experiments to be done in D'Appolito configuration for a modification of TW29RN removing the ring for mounting a more 'can be caught between the mid-woofers that's where he originally the idea. It 'true that the market there is this type of configuration, but in this case we are talking about drivers who in my humble way of seeing have particular characteristics. A greeting .

Mleod

Mleod, The simulator Xdir provides simple polar analysis of MTM alignments. I attached a Xdir sim using the Satori MW19P dimensions for just the stacked MM separation distance without a tweeter, and also a Xdir sim for MTM using the MW19P, plus the TW29RN tweeter with the faceplate removed. The sims show lobing effects around the 1600Hz crossover frequency. Lobing directs portions of the SPL energy toward the ceiling and floor, and this both disrupts the perceived physical locations of instruments/voices in the 3D soundstage, and also changes the SPL the listener hears for sounds near the 1600Hz Xover frequency. As the plots show, lobing generates large SPL changes for standing vs. seated listening positions around the crossover frequency.

Attachments

• MW19P lobing.jpg
    MW19P lobing.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 485
Hello OM and thanks for the simulation that you did. I realize that this type of alignment is not suitable for using the MW19. In order to achieve my aims I will try other solutions as Satorique 2 or wait for someone to present some project, including 3-way, which uses as a starting point the TW29RN offering the appropriate sensitivity (95db) my needs, possibly using family members Satori. Thanks anyway, I will continue to read and hear a greeting.

-Mleo-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.