DIY club for adelaide?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Micheal, While I wouldn't swear to it I doubt if there is an Audio Club in Adelaide like there is in Melbourne. There is an active section of the AES (Audio Engineering Society) which I am on the committee of. We have meetings monthly and guests are welcome to attend. Our current chairman is a loudspeaker designer and is on the Board of Governors and gets to attend conferences and conventions all over the place! Some members are into recording and post production.

Finding someone to make a presentation or finding a place to visit every month is not always easy. While the AES has a preference for scientific rigour it is well recognised that in audio there are groups that have interests such that they may seem to inhabit a different planet to the rest of us. A recent example was a visit to a recording studio where the owner mentioned at the beginning that he had very little knowledge of electronics or acoustics, but an ability to give his clients the kind of sounds they may be looking for.

My own interests are recording and loudspeakers but I should mention that I am only interested in acoustic music. Currently I have a pair of Linkwitz Orion dipole speakers that anyone is welcome to have a listen to. If interested Google "linkwitzlab"

Keith

I would urge you to get your group started.

There is a group in our area that has been meeting for about 10 years now and I would make a couple of suggestions.

Since you are a dyi group, I would suggest no more than 4 meetings per year. It takes time for people to build new stuff.

Try to find a listening room that is big enough to house a dozen or so people, yet small enough to allow for single ended amps and small speakers. You also need room for all the amps / speakers etc that people will bring. Our group is fortunate in that two of our members have rooms that work very well for us. My listening room would not be suitable.

We start about 10am and go till about 4 or 5pm. It gives plenty of time to ring the changes with the various combinations of gear. We welcome all types of music and to me this is the best part when I hear something new and different that I like.

My sister lives in Adelaide and I would love to come to one of your events when I am next in the area.

Here is a link to our group. Bottleheads

ray

well what are we all in to?
i have just finished a pair of frugel horn mk3.
Also have a pair of VAF DC 7's
nad t775hd (av receiver) & nad t587 (bluray).
I am into music and movies. I am trying to expand my musical side.

I am 23 and a boilermaker at asc.

there are some nice builds on your website. just reading about ultra-fi movement, some thing it seems i am trying to do. I have built my horns and am trying to understand electronics to build a tube amp. I am trying to explore music more, made easy and hard by the internet. Easy to find but what is good and where do i start.

Just thinking of a few ideas. First meeting do as you said lowpoke and hire a hall and have a play. then later meetings was thinking we could talk nicely to Vaf (vaf.com.au) and Adelaide Speakers (Adelaide Speakers - Ascension) and any others around the place for a tour/demo, diy tips whatever really. Any ideas would be great. Any of you that a serious about this let us know, inform your mates too. Would be great to see this come together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.