Loudspeaker design analogy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last night i was thinking about something. I'm sorta trying to get my head fully around how to create a good driver right now. (warning: crazy analogy ahead) Lets say that the grain of the wood is the music your trying to play. Then the smoothness of the surface of the wood would be how flat the frequency response of the speaker is. When you have something sanded down to a very smooth surface, all the detail in the grain of the wood really stands out. I'm assuming, when you have a very smooth (flat) frequency response, the detail in the music really comes out. I guess you could also make the comparison that rough grit sand paper is like the subs, medium grit sandpaper is like the mids, and the fine grit sand paper is like the tweeter. When your sanding you need to use rough sand paper starting out to get rid of all the big stuff on the wood, then the medium to get rid of the medium stuff, and fine sandpaper to get rid of the fine stuff. It is possible to sand with only one grit of sandpaper, but its much harder, just as its much harder to do a single full range driver. Another comparison would be that separating the drivers (comb effect) x distance is like sanding x degrees off of the direction of the grain. The difference is that inversly the tweeters need to be spaces closer, and the subs dont need to be spaced as close, while in sanding the fine grit has a less need of being used in the same direction as the grain of the wood, and rough sandpaper needs to be very much in line with the grain of the wood.
I guess my question is this, to get lots of detail out of a speaker, is it solely (or at least mostly) dependant on the flatness of the frequency response. Or is more dependant on the ease at which a speaker can play a certain sound (quickness). How much further could this analogy be taken??? Is it wrong??

Personally, I would say that frequency response has nothing to do with how clear a loudspeaker can play. You can take the worst speaker in the world and EQ it with a 31-band 1/3 octave EQ to yield perfectly flat frequency response, but I betcha it'll still sound bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.