Seas A26 aperiodic bracing & damping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Roderick,

My bad, I was referring to the classic Seas basket, not the new one,which indeed is substantially better than the old ones.

However, what I was actually suggesting was attaching the entire woofer by the magnet and only soft coupling (rubber/silicone) the chassis to the front panel. No screws between chassis and front panel. This way, the woofer is almost totally decoupled from the front-panel.

It is interesting that your site shows accelerometer measurement pictures of the enclosures you built. Unfortunately this does not tell us the full story, because the various modes are all over the panels.

Nice work BTW!
Check the "best enclosure material" thread for further discussions about this topic.

Good luck,

Eelco

Agree, so i'm going to make a set of boxes with braces; can always go back and cheaper than sealing everything up, go funky with veneers just to think in a few months time "might i have done better"?

Just read this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/172073-bracing-overkill-yay-nay.html thread, would something like my drawing do?
I would make the braces from 18 mm mdf.
And do i need to adjust the cabinet size to make up for the extra room the braces would take?

The bracing overkill thread is my thread from 7 years ago on my old account :D as I was going through this post it was funny to see people read it 7 years after, kinda cool.. anyway

I am designing an enclosure for this kit myself as i believe less is more in the crossover department, learning all i could from the bracing thread I figured.. why risk it ? heavy is good. I bet these 10 inch woofers move alot of air, all that force must go somewhere right ? better brace the living hell out of it and make a double thick baffle. Just in case.

Personally i like the Magico approach to enclosure design. hearing the speaker and only the speaker.
30 years ago we had speakers out of cardboard, and they were fine sure, but they also recorded music in rooms with no sound treatment what so ever and it sounded like ****.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just use one stick top to bottom, one side to side, and one front to back. Hardwood or void-free ply 3/4" at least on a side, and fastened to each other. It's in compression, damped by the intersection. you only need more for a box of this size and shape if it will be roughly handled, in which case brace the woofer magnet as do p.a. systems. If your walls are thin use a 'landing pad' where the stick touches the wall. This method should not have a significant effect on the volume of a box a cu. ft. or larger.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.