Crossover Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2015, 08:25 AM   #1
juancho is offline juancho  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover Help

Click the image to open in full size.
Hi,
The attached shows the crossover in my Wilmslow Audio Prestige speakers. They are 70 litre cabinets running Monacor 12ins bass units, ATC mid ranges, and Vifa tweeters. The ATC SM75-150 has recommended crossover points of 380 and 3.8khz.

I would like to know what the crossover is giving in terms of crossover points.

Also, I know my listening room has a big bass drop out, but these speakers give subjectively less bass than my previous Elac FS207s with 2 x 6.5ins drivers which does not seem right.
Thanks for any help.
David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15th April 2015, 09:40 AM   #2
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

This looks like a fairly text book crossover that's been adjusted, presumably to fit the drivers and enclosure. Assuming polarity is correct etc, a bass issue is more likely fixable in where you put the speakers and where you sit.. or in where you place subs.
Old 15th April 2015, 10:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Happy to attempt to model it for you but need to know the actual bass driver and tweeter, and cabinet dimensions
Old 15th April 2015, 03:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Nannoo,
That would be brilliant! The bass unit is Monacor SPH300CT, and the Tweeter is
Vifa D27TG-35-06. Cabs are 70 litres and cabinet dimensions 1050mm high x 360mm wide x 330mm deep. The cabinet is not rectangular and I will attach a photo to a second post.
Thanks for the help!
David
Old 15th April 2015, 03:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here's what the speakers look likeClick the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Last edited by juancho; 15th April 2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 20th April 2015, 01:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Did you use a different reflex pipe for this compared with the one used for the Volt bass driver? It seems unlikely that they would use exactly the same tuning.
Old 20th April 2015, 01:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Wilmslow supply exactly the same tube
Old 20th April 2015, 01:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I bet they do. The speaker is designed to use the Volt driver in all three variants I believe. The chances of the Thiele and Small parameters being the same for your bass driver and the intended Volt driver are very small I would guess. T&S parameters are solely concerned with bass performance so this could be part of your bass performance problem.
Old 20th April 2015, 01:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Just for instance, a quick look at the Wilmslow Audio website shows the free air resonance of your Monacor drivers being 18Hz while the Volt used in the design is 35Hz, this is very close to a whole octave in difference.
Old 20th April 2015, 05:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The speakers manage to sound great in my friend's house despite all the compromises in their 'design'.

Most of my bass problem is room related and the purpose of this thread is for me to gain understanding of the crossover design before tweaking and / or upgrading things

Hide this!Advertise here!