2-way with Visaton W170S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at building a pair of towers with W170S and probably HiVi K1 (suggestions for the tweeter are welcome).
Visaton has a project with these woofers, but I think the HiVi is better (lower Fs). It looks like this: ALTO II

Should I stick to their BR enclosure or try TQWT?
I understand that TQWT is good for drivers that don't go very low, but these woofers already have a Fs of 36Hz, so it might be an overkill.

Assuming the linked specs you provided are reasonably representative of your actual drivers, I would expect this midwoofer to work pretty well in either a tapered TL or a mass-loaded TL. The latter is essentially what the Alto II is, but you don't know if the effect of the 1/4-wavelength resonant frequency created by the internal height of the cabinet and its contribution to the system tuning was taken into account when the port's dimensions were tuning (as opposed to just basing the port's dimensions on the internal cabinet volume). Almost more important is finding the optimum location for the port that will result in the smoothest overall response as well as minimizing the effects of unwanted higher-frequency resonances from the port.
Paul

I'm looking at building a pair of towers with W170S and probably HiVi K1 (suggestions for the tweeter are welcome).
Visaton has a project with these woofers, but I think the HiVi is better (lower Fs). It looks like this: ALTO II

Should I stick to their BR enclosure or try TQWT?
I understand that TQWT is good for drivers that don't go very low, but these woofers already have a Fs of 36Hz, so it might be an overkill.

Hi Bogdan.
In my workshop I have diy w170s + dsm25ffl in 17 l vented box. It might be something like a pseudo-Alto II with little weaker low-end due to lower box volume.

If your amplifier does not exceed 20Wrms, some variants W170S with full-range driver sounds better. In this price range (11 US$ for HF driver), I suggest TC9FD. ScanSpeak 10F/... is better but much more expensive.
If you cannot live without Visaton, then Visaton B80.
All of these ideas you have here on this forum. Maybe it's not bad to look at it.

Best diying.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.