Pics of my Fostex Mass Loaded TL project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2004, 04:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pics of my Fostex Mass Loaded TL project

Hosting pics on Yahoo so you will have to view pics there.

Finished what I think was the hardest part of the speaker build - creating the template to flush mount the radiused-edged square Fostex speakers. Made my template exact size of speaker and will transfer from 1/4 Luan plywood to 3/4 plywood with pattern cutting bit (top bearing flush cutter) and then I can use same 3/4 cutting depth pattern bit to recess the speaker.

But - I have decided to wait till after I apply veneer so that the speaker will flush out perfect without thinking about it.

Here is the link to my photo album.
Yahoo Photo Album

I will cut in my 6inch holes in baffles tonight and glue up my first front baffle speaker to the rest of the box that is already glued. Then other baffle in 24 hours ( I am not using any nails or screws) and then I can brad nail on tops and the port peices (without glue) so I can test them 50 hours or so after the interier stufffing and damping of course. Will install 3/4 inch dowel bracing at same time as tops with different glue - gorilla glue which is an expanding poly.
Old 1st February 2004, 04:35 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'll get a chance in March to go listen to a set of those.... the drivers are a really nice build.

dave
Old 1st February 2004, 07:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well - if you are heading South to check out a pair you might try stopping in Seattle where I am to compare.
Old 1st February 2004, 07:22 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No, i'm headed North... it is hard for me to get into the USA...

dave
Old 1st February 2004, 04:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
it is hard for me to get into the USA...
There's just got to be a good story there
Old 1st February 2004, 04:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

When they ask you if you have been convicted of a felony, just say no. They hardley ever check unless they spot a bale of something in the back of your pickup.

Honesty is not always the best policy.

Two "gentlemen" were heading North to Canada when at the Canadian side they were asked by the border guards if they had ever been convicted of a felony. The two guys honestly replied that yes they had. The guards decided that they did not want the gentlemen in their country and had them turn around.
On re-entry the U.S. border guards asked why their trip had been cut short and the two guys relayed their story. The U.S. guards decided to have the guys get out of their car and do a search - that is when they found the large bags of cocaine.
Old 1st February 2004, 05:25 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggerfip
When they ask you if you have been convicted of a felony
I've never, ever admitted it to customs (and they have never been specific)

Somehow i got in their computer (it involved 23 g wet!! some 20+ years ago, for which i have a pardon recognized everywhere but the US). I've been in & out of the US many many times, but turned away twice at Vancouver airport. Now with the terrorists causing major crackdowns it is just not worth the chance. i was threatened with jail, and seizure of all property (ie the car i'd be in -- even if it wasn't mine). Just not worth the chance.

Every US citizen i've told says it is ridiculaous, but try telling that to the government.

dave
Old 10th February 2004, 01:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I do not think that breaking them will affect the sound too much so I am planning my changes now. The bass is way too weak on them right now. May have to put in the corrrection circuit but will try changing the stuffing and port length first.

I also do not have the base on mine right now as they will be painted soon but have hard wood floors. There might not be a perfect seal there - could I be loosing bottom end from that? I unfortunately have to wait till my next order comes from parts express till I can get more stuffing. I am using Acousta-stuff that they have. Are there any tricks to using this? It was pretty dense in the package so I pulled at it to try to fluff it out.

It will def. take some tweaking to get the sound tuned in. Any suggestions as far as how stuffing should be installed in the speaker or what you would first tackle to see if it makes a difference?
Old 10th February 2004, 09:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Are the the FT-1600?

Is this design from Bob Brines? If it is then I made the same ones. The do definately need the BSC circuit. Also, they take a very long time to break in. I've been listening to mine for about 4 months now and I think they finally settled down.

As far as stuffing is concerned, most of the stuffing is in the section right above the speaker. The next two chambers have medium stuffing in them. But, you do need to play around with them to get the sound you are looking for.

My only reservation with theses speakers is that I think the need a super tweeter. The very top frequencies are missing IMO. I did get a pair but haven't installed them yet.

Other then that I think they sound pretty clean and worth the effort. Good luck and have fun...

Hide this!Advertise here!