Guitar Cab Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2004, 02:16 AM   #1
newbie1 is offline newbie1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar Cab Speakers

I'm thinking about building a custom open back cab for my guitar head as my first non-car audio project. It seems like PartsExpress should be able to provide me with everything I need from corners to laminate. However, I am still confused on what speakers to purchase. I want the cab to consist of two 12" speakers. I know Marshall, Mesa, Crate and many others choose Celestion G12's for their cabinets. Do the Celestions really sound any better than say a Pyle?

I noted that the specifications of the Celestion G12 is very similar to many other speakers sold by parts express. I want to build a cab that sounds good but don't really want to pay for name brand speakers if something cheaper will sound just as good. Anyone have any suggestions or experience.

Additionally, is there any noticeable difference in the sound quality of two 4 ohm speakers wired in series...versus...two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel assuming the the rest of the specs for the speakers are consistent?

Thanks.
Old 1st February 2004, 02:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Although your question is interesting I really can't help you, however I am particulary interested in this question...never really thought about it till now

Quote:
Additionally, is there any noticeable difference in the sound quality of two 4 ohm speakers wired in series...versus...two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel assuming the the rest of the specs for the speakers are consistent?
Old 1st February 2004, 05:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Guitar Cab Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie1
Do the Celestions really sound any better than say a Pyle?
1) The speaker in a guitar amp imparts a significant portion of the characteristic tone to the amp (the exception being the DSP amps). So yes, all the speakers sound different.

2) What's your budget and equipment like? Do you have a Les Paul Custom into a Marshall head? Then use Celestions. Do you have a Squier Strat into a transistor amp? Then use Eminence.

2) Jimi Hendrix turned over in his grave when you used Celestion and Pyle in the same sentence.
Old 1st February 2004, 10:17 AM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Guitar speakers cannot be judged by their parameters at all.

I'll just note that for an open backed cabinet the drivers with
Fs of around 100Hz and a Q of around 1.1 are the ones to go
for, the lower Fs and Q's suiting sealed cabinets.

Guitar speakers are about tone and progressive distortion.

Eminence are very good value, generally with guitar speakers
you get what you pay for, but making the correct choice of
the type of guitar speaker tonally to suit you is paramount.

sreten.
Old 1st February 2004, 11:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here are a few links with sound samples from different guitar speakers:

http://professional.celestion.com/gu...one/index.html

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/Co...reSpeaker.html

It's quite easy to hear the difference
Old 1st February 2004, 02:41 PM   #6
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default reply

I've got a pair of Celestion Greenback G12S 16 0hm each,20w rms each out of a broken valve Selmer guitar combo amp my Uncle gave me.
Tried them in the original cabinet [2x 12 inch vented] and I don't know what makes the speaker sound this way but it has an unique sound to it when used with my mates Marshall valve head.
Just wonder if there is any difference between the greenback G12S [which ive got] and the G12M they have nowadays???
Old 2nd February 2004, 07:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all that replied. I have decided to go with 2 Eminence Legend M12 (16 ohm) speakers as this cab will be used for rock/metal.

Can anyone provide some advice on the type of wood? I orginally planned on using 1/2" MDF but after talking to the owner of a local guitar store he told me that a lot of cab manufactuers are going with Plywood instead of MDF. I would think that MDF would have less overall resonance and accent the lower frequencies more than Plywood...any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2004, 07:35 AM   #8
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Plywood is a LOT lighter and won't be destroyed in a month!
Old 2nd February 2004, 08:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
Plywood is a LOT lighter and won't be destroyed in a month!
That may be true. However, I plan to apply either laminate or carpet as well as metal corners to the cabinet to protect it. So hopefully it won't be destroyed in a month. Anyhow, I just wanted to know what material would provide better overall sound quality for an open back cabinet.
Old 2nd February 2004, 02:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newbie1
However, I plan to apply either laminate or carpet as well as metal corners to the cabinet to protect it.
Not enough, go with plywood unless you never expect it to be in a gig or in the back of an equipment van. And reinforce the corners with bracing.

Hide this!Advertise here!