Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Devore Orangutan Clone?
Devore Orangutan Clone?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2015, 03:53 PM   #21
speakerdoctor is offline speakerdoctor  United States
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Elite View Post
Absolutely! Tweeter and woofer
Cheep but good sounding. Don't know how they (WLM) can charge the obscene amounts for them!
If you have a high perceived value product, you price to value, not to cost to make. That's how money is made.

Last edited by speakerdoctor; 27th April 2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 28th April 2015, 02:03 AM   #22
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The WLM La Scala got me interested in cone tweeters and lively 8" bass.

Click the image to open in full size.

6moons audio reviews: WLM La Scala

Clearly those cheapie drive units are doing something right to compete at the high end. I've built many variations on the theme: LR4, BW3, LR2 with varying crossover points, and whilst some are better than others, they never fail but to impress me with their lovely musical quality.

Very enjoyable photo set by Hannes Frick of WLM here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hannes...7623773218942/

I was wrong in thinking it was the 8 ohm W200S that WLM use. The 4 ohm version actually plays more nicely on a series crossover in Boxsim. It is my conceit that I have actually improved the simple WLM crossover in my test rig. But I'm not telling, beyond it being 5 element. After all, WLM staff have children to feed, and no-one can fault their construction standards or commitment to musicality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Visaton Drive Units system7 lashup.jpg (81.9 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg WLM LaScala Bracing.JPG (16.7 KB, 418 views)
Old 28th April 2015, 11:30 AM   #23
mannish boy is offline mannish boy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannish boy View Post
A couple of months back I had a go at Boxsim, using the Seas A26RE4 and T35 data sheet curves and parameters. I designed a large sealed box with AR series style crossover and the results looked OK. Saying that I've no practical experience designing speakers and it was the first time I tried Boxsim! I could try emailing the files if they're any use to anyone.
I took another look at my attempt and it appears I must have made some error inputting the data and/or I've completely misunderstood what I'm doing with Boxsim!
Old 28th April 2015, 11:57 AM   #24
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannish boy View Post
I took another look at my attempt and it appears I must have made some error inputting the data and/or I've completely misunderstood what I'm doing with Boxsim!
Importing data is hard in Boxsim, but I think you might well succeed with a series filter with these drive units!
SEAS A26 Kit

We had a guy unhappy with his similarly simple Epos M12i speakers a while back. Which used unfiltered bass. He wasn't interested in this idea and dumped them. Silly boy, IMO.

It's better to use a second order tweeter though, IMO. Which means adding a capacitor in series with the tweeter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acoustic_Reality_crossover2.JPG (44.1 KB, 512 views)
Old 24th February 2016, 12:13 PM   #25
ontheellipse is offline ontheellipse
diyAudio Member

Has anybody succeeded in building something like this? Do you think this would be too difficult for a first DIY speaker project? I wouldn't expect it to be as good or pretty as a Devore, but I think it would be a fun project
Old 18th April 2016, 04:14 PM   #26
dualuxe is offline dualuxe  United States
diyAudio Member

So the calculated volume for the O/93 is about 64 liters and the Vas of the Seas A26RE4 is 169 liters. Assuming that the A26RE4 is similarly spec'd to the driver used on the O/93, could someone please explain to this speaker design noob how one arrives at a cabinet volume of 64 liters?
Old 18th April 2016, 07:04 PM   #27
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

Ideal is different from what a company believes that a customer will tolerate in the living room.

And I'm not completely sold that it is the a26 exactly..........
Old 18th April 2016, 08:04 PM   #28
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

DeVore Fidelity has made a smart decision to build a ported
cabinet. One can easily stuff the ports gradually to meet one's
own taste. Interesting how most of the manufacturers display
unrealistic sensitivity figures.
Old 18th April 2016, 09:16 PM   #29
dualuxe is offline dualuxe  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses so far. I guess what I am really asking, as a total noob on speaker cabinet design, is what would be the design considerations that would lead one to this cabinet volume/dimensions assuming one was using the Seas A26RE4, as opposed to something larger like the O/96 (77 liters) or smaller like the Audio Note AN-E (54 liters)? If someone experienced could walk through the hypothetical, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 18th April 2016, 09:32 PM   #30
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Devore Orangutan Clone?
Some more info here orangutan lookalike...?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Devore Orangutan Clone?Hide this!Advertise here!