Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Devore Orangutan Clone?
Devore Orangutan Clone?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2015, 07:51 PM   #11
patrik96 is offline patrik96  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
I think John DeVore explained his efficiency rating clearly enough. 1W/1m giving 96dB. Based on 12 ohms impedance for a valve amplifier. So I think the peanut gallery could quieten down here.

DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

That is clearly a bespoke 10" paper woofer that SEAS have made for him. Troels seems to have similar ideas with his Jantzen JA8008-HMQ:
JA8008-HMQ

I wouldn't like to speculate on the filter, but I'd guess it's not as simplistic as the SEAS A26. About 2kHz crossover though.
Dear Steve, One earlier post you suggested the O96 filter based 3,3u and 0.68mH, may you have some further info about that? Thanks Richard
Old 16th April 2015, 09:34 PM   #12
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Devore Orangutan Clone?
Quote:
I think John DeVore explained his efficiency rating clearly enough. 1W/1m giving 96dB. Based on 12 ohms impedance for a valve amplifier. So I think the peanut gallery could quieten down here.

DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com
For some reason stereophile is not responding at the moment, but if he tests at anything other than 2.83V that's cheating in my book. As far as google will let me know 2.83V gives 91dB
Old 16th April 2015, 11:36 PM   #13
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

I also would be interested in a Devore O96 clone. I heard them at a recent HI FI show and was amazed at how good they sounded. They were driven by a Triode SET amp but still managed to produce quite high output. They seem to break a lot of rules wrt 10 inch woofer 2 way and resonant boxes but some how they sounded great, much better than others at the show costing many times as much. Not that $14000.00 is exactly cheap. The Seas kit seems to be quite close in philosophy. Obtaining Seas drivers in Aus might be difficult however. Anyone listened to the Seas kit?
Old 17th April 2015, 12:50 AM   #14
ogie is offline ogie  United States
diyAudio Member

Devore Orangutan Clone?
Isnít the OR a derivative of Audio Note/ Snell? Maybe I have this wrong, but if thatís the case, The Audio Noteís would be more interesting to copy. Especially since you can actually buy the drivers in kitís or find a cheaper but suitable knock off. Put a few AN caps in an external xover, hook it up w sum silver wire and you gots a $30k speaker. Also think it would be cool to find a hemp coned driver, but all the ones Iíve seen were guitar speakers.... which I might try if someone would recommended one.
Old 19th April 2015, 11:59 PM   #15
larryldspkr is offline larryldspkr  Canada
diyAudio Member

I love the retro look of the Orangutans, the book matched veneer fronts are a great theme!

Larry
Old 20th April 2015, 05:49 AM   #16
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Isnít the OR a derivative of Audio Note/ Snell? Maybe I have this wrong, but if thatís the case, The Audio Noteís would be more interesting to copy. Especially since you can actually buy the drivers in kitís or find a cheaper but suitable knock off. Put a few AN caps in an external xover, hook it up w sum silver wire and you gots a $30k speaker. Also think it would be cool to find a hemp coned driver, but all the ones Iíve seen were guitar speakers.... which I might try if someone would recommended one.
You can but the drivers or whole kit from here - LINK but I heard the Audio note E at Whittlebury hifi show last year and thought they were a bit dull with a loose bass.
Old 21st April 2015, 01:50 AM   #17
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's interesting to me that Audio Note used a lively 4 ohm 8" bass.

So do WLM in the La Scala design:

Click the image to open in full size.

Visaton W200S 4 ohm and Visaton TW70. It's a simple 5 element series filter AFAIK. You can do Boxsim if you are interested.

This is not their preferred route however. They go down the Eminence 10CX route in the WLM Diva.

Eminence discuss some applications for the Beta 10CX here: Using coaxial products for DIY monitors and home hi-fi applications | Eminence Speaker. Lively 10" paper cones are really quite well behaved.

Seems to me the whole trick is a paper woofer with high Qms above 3. Kapton or fibreglass or paper voicecoil formers. Corrugated paper or foam surrounds. And don't expect too much bass, because big excursion is the enemy of linearity. Fast response relies on low energy storage. Keep it light.

Last edited by system7; 21st April 2015 at 01:55 AM.
Old 27th April 2015, 12:17 PM   #18
mannish boy is offline mannish boy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A couple of months back I had a go at Boxsim, using the Seas A26RE4 and T35 data sheet curves and parameters. I designed a large sealed box with AR series style crossover and the results looked OK. Saying that I've no practical experience designing speakers and it was the first time I tried Boxsim! I could try emailing the files if they're any use to anyone.

I'm into the idea of making some wide baffle speakers that would work well close to the wall / corners, but apart from the expensive AN kits there doesn't seem to be any DIY designs out there.

I used to have some Russ Andrews speakers that where designed for corners, using a 12" Precision Devises pro driver running full-range and a Focal tweeter with just one cap for the crossover. I've kicked myself ever since I sold them because, even though I've had higher fidelity speakers, they've never been as nice to listen to in the long run.

I get dragged up to the Bristol show every year and I've always liked the Audio Note room way more than anything else there. I noticed this year there where a few more old school style wide baffle speakers like Spendor, Harbeth and some huge Art 3 ways in the Ming Da room. To me they sounded a lot nicer than the usual narrow / small driver stuff, but unfortunately they're all well out of my price range!
Old 27th April 2015, 02:16 PM   #19
speakerdoctor is offline speakerdoctor  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's interesting to me that Audio Note used a lively 4 ohm 8" bass.

So do WLM in the La Scala design:

Click the image to open in full size.

Visaton W200S 4 ohm and Visaton TW70. It's a simple 5 element series filter AFAIK. You can do Boxsim if you are interested.

This is not their preferred route however. They go down the Eminence 10CX route in the WLM Diva.

Eminence discuss some applications for the Beta 10CX here: Using coaxial products for DIY monitors and home hi-fi applications | Eminence Speaker. Lively 10" paper cones are really quite well behaved.

Seems to me the whole trick is a paper woofer with high Qms above 3. Kapton or fibreglass or paper voicecoil formers. Corrugated paper or foam surrounds. And don't expect too much bass, because big excursion is the enemy of linearity. Fast response relies on low energy storage. Keep it light.
Are you sure that Visaton woofer is used in that WLM speaker?
Old 27th April 2015, 02:59 PM   #20
Audio Elite is offline Audio Elite  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Absolutely! Tweeter and woofer
Cheep but good sounding. Don't know how they (WLM) can charge the obscene amounts for them!

Devore Orangutan Clone?Hide this!Advertise here!