Fostex Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking on Fostex's site, mainly looking at the monitors a friend has. While i was there though i started lookign at their drivers, and alot of them looked really nice. I tried to find some projects on this site that even mentioned fostex drivers let alone used them, but i couldnt. I am wondsering why these drivers are never mentioned.

Also if you have any suggestions for any kits using this drivers i'd love to hear it

thnx

Hey sorry bout that i dont think i looked to hard, and was looking for the wrong thing.

One thing i have noticed about all this fostex stuff though is it is all single drivers, which i definatly dont wanna do.

I saw one or two multi driver speaker setups in your link thingy iliahn but nothing that interested me.

Does anyone have any fostex speaker plans that involve more than one driver, and preferably aren't horn cabinets.

This is what Fostex displayed at CES

http://www.madisound.com/imgs/208ez_encl.pdf

and I have seen several posts to the effect that they sounded pretty good. I think they were using the T900A tweeters on them.

should work fine with a t90A or better, depending on your budget.

I spend more time on-line than I should, and do not remember ever seeing a reference by a poster to the effect that they were using the Fostex ribbon. I have wondered about them myself.

Regards

Ken L

I am building the solo-103's ( http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo103.html ) and I got my Fostex 103's in yesterday from Madisound. Dang, they are tiny for a quasi-fullrange.

I am looking forward to trying these in my bedroom where I will likely pair them with my Jolida 102b ( http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/jd102b.html ), which, like these loudspeakers, is also all about beautiful mids and great soundstage.

And before you get ticked at me, Mike Allen, the 102b kicks butt all thru the spectrum. It's just that it makes female vocals into pure magic, IMO.

BTW, if anyone is looking to jump into the tube amp word without DIYing or spending a ton of money (even for this integrated amp), treat yourself to a Jolida 102b. It is reviewed here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0500/jolida102b.htm

I will post pix and a full report on the Tony Gee-designed Solo-103's after completing, breaking in and auditioning them.

GnD

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GrahamnDodder said:
I am building the solo-103's

I've been very tempted to build a set of those, cause they are just so pretty. I'd use FE103As thou, so i need some T/S to know how to tweak the box... soon.

Our FE103/40-1197 phase plug project is coming along fine... got the 1st 20 pr of prototypes and are testing... made a BIG difference in a set of FE103As in Buschorn IIs.

dave

Attachments

• phase-plug-chess.jpg
    phase-plug-chess.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 656
Uh... so, Dave,

When you buy the whole case of suppositories, they give you a free chessboard?:eek:

I have one cabinet glued up on the 103's and am sanding the other one now.

Mine don't look as nice as Tony's I am afraid. I have to allow for so much sanding I should re-calc my cabinet volumes. Oh well. Maybe 20 or 30 coats of satin Minwax will do the trick...

:smash:

GnD

A little Off Topic...

Nice phase plugs.

My 3-year old just dented the paper plug.

Saw those wooden ones you have. Can anyone guide me on how to go about changing phase plugs?

Also, has anyone used the 103 on a two way project. I have a set of Altec 406-8Cs [10 in, Fs=28hz, Qts= approx 0.2, 96db sensitive] which I intend to put in either a sealed cab or T-L [recommendations appreciated here as well]. Could I couple this to my Fe103 in OBs? Am thinking of a first order x-over at say 1khz. I may use a supertweeter as well.

Thanks

I had the good fortune to get sick as a dog this week, so I had enough time to finish my Solo-103's (from these plans: http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo103.html ). Too sick to work, but I can still sand!

They have yet to finish breaking them in, but I am already liking them.

Strong suits:

Mids
Stunning soundstage
Pinpoint imaging
Size (~11"x11"x6.5")
Total cost: ~$100 US for the pair.

Weaknesses:

Power handling (5w contin, 15w peak)
Efficiency (dunno for sure, but I suspect mid-80db's)
Bass rolls off at ~85hz. (I may decide to filter below that and sub them. But I doubt it.)

I used the 10-ohm, 82mh, 4.7uf (all wired in parallel) notch filters, which had components small enuf to be hotglued right to the (inside) back of the binding post plates.

I jumpered the notch filters and found it too midrangy (that a word?) indeed.

This is my first attempt at speakers, having built 3 headphone amps (2 CMOY's and a META42) and an LM3975 IGC. I am definitely gonna keep playing with the Fostex single driver designs.

Next will be bird's-eye-maple-veneered FE 207E ported monitors. Then I will try some 206-based horns, if I can screw up my woodworking courage. Every additional interior wall just lowers my odds!

Dave - You ever heard of a TL design for the 207? That might be worth it to get me the extra octave or so.

Anyway, spending a nice, Actifed-aided evening listening to XM VOX-112 (vocal classical music - nice match) over my Jolida 102b and my new 103's. BTW, all you Canadians, get ready. XM is coming up to the hinterlands.

Endless variety of top-quality content. What better diet to feed DIY'd gear.

GnD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.