Manninen presents: Steel is Real

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some humorous in-room polars, just three strokes and im out, 0 90 and 180. 15ms window

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

naked 15"

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

blanked folded on top and sides, rear is open

blanked folded on top and sides and big pillow on rear

blanked folded on rear with with big pillow, sides are open

blanked double folded on rear, sides are open as pictured

two last sounded best to my ear, damping sides it start to sound bit box speaker like. Theres mordor on the back, naula the cat is sleeping on her pouch, she cant tip that cat tree

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/47431-damping-rear-wave-dipole-woofer.html
oh there is thread for this one too

Last edited:

if kind of being here for a while, OB died when i listened side by side my corner sealeds versus mordor ob, and there is Her Acceptance Factor and My own Acceptance Factor, we just dont like speakers middle of room.

So im evolving these corner speakers.

on top beyma tpl200h
upper mid b&w fst on jbl cinema horn
low mid bms 12n820
and on low end bms 18n862

xo points 80, 400 and 2000hz

and what im working with now is tryind to make better fst to jbl horn

now im going really dark so watch out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqxNPsfN50

Fst has M6 threads front and back, really easy to test different phaseplugs, now testing type 2 diabetes type plugs

round can, few naulakissas skid marks inside horn, music interests her

funktion one type wedge plug

Green: fst without phase plug
Yellow: fst with stock phase plug
Blue: round can plug
Purple: funktion one style wedge plug, wool sock damped

just those yellow and purple, +3db over 1k and flatter on bottom.

I got the idea when looking martin audio data, i kind of found source for martin audio donut style phase plug, looking forward to get some own measurements with that.

Last edited:
I believe in corner horns! FST-horn definitely needs the plug. By the way I don't understand why it is called "phase plug". It prevents high F soundwaves crisscrossing the cone walls near the throat. What woud be a better name...

D2 Dual Diaphragm Dual Voice Coil Compression Driver

d2_callout7615FEB7B7DE.png

Last edited:
Since "high F soundwaves crisscrossing the cone walls near the throat." can cause phase issues my suggestion is "Phase plug", the sales pitch would be "Phase plug! New and improved, puts a plug on those phase issues!".

Not sure if that will work for you though, we can always just make a new acronym, like SX-Adaptor as in soundcrossing adaptor, but if you just say SX Adaptor it sounds like something else...

^Well, have you ever seen a phase angle graphic presentation of a horn? We see spl response graphs everywhre, and we notice how spl goes up and down because of these crisscrossing soundwaves that are in different phase and collide which causes spl to attenuate or grow.

"Short wavelength interference attenuator" SWIA :D

Been connected to steel bikes again, now waiting some parts to frame jig so time to mess with hifi again.

some simulations with rew:

NOW:

bass 80hz lowpass

low mid 80-400hz

and these are tomorrows simulations

FUTURE:

bass 80hz lowpass

low mid 80-400hz.

Simulations for lowmid looks really bad, but now i have kind of phasey bass section and i dont like it.
i have to try this thing, it looks similar to whats simulation says on bass.

The_Last_Exorcism_Poster.jpg

i hope i can call the phasey away tomorrow

Last edited:
NOW:

FUTURE:

I think im not gonna build new corner boxes.
Story goes on...

Nothing special going on here, just changed shelf filtering to PEQ and phase curve got little bit better, upper graph is steep linear phase and lower is 1st bessel, window is 2ms. measured over listening spot couch.
wavequidos seems to bend phase a little bit.

These two are best xo´s i have worst is LR2, LR4 ain´t to bad either.

I had forgotten how your setup had evolved. It's looking very similar to what I'm thinking: TPL-150H above 2kHz, a cone-driven horn from somewhere in 400 to 600Hz in a wide horn, dual 10" midbasses side by side below the horn, and separate subs.

Which JBL Cinema horn are you using? Is it 6.5" or did you adapt it to the FST? BTW, I have FSTs in my B&W speakers and like them very much. And I might need to venture into phase plugs to extend my 5" Faital midranges a bit.

Lots of similarities between the projects!

quido is from 3730. i have plans to evolve that wedge style phaseplugs, easy to fit with fst.
upper graph is steep 90-150db/oct 420-2200hz, that round phase plug helps that 2k area, tpl crossed @2k phase rises little bit more.

Haut-parleur PHL Audio 1500Nd-SQ, 8 ohm, M17Nd, charge arrière close
this has been on my mind too, but i dont need any more db to midrange. fst runs now -6db below others!!!

amp gains revisited

old: low lowmid mid high
29 26 22 22
pre 0 0 -5db 0

new: 25 22 22 22
pre 0 0 0 0

tpl´s got 3,3ohm serial resistors and fst´s 7,5ohm, thats -4db to tpl and -9db to fst.

-4db overall to dsp noisefloor, hiss from dsp is now much better.

i now have funktion one r2sh´s on the way, maybe some mordor tower OB <250hz 2x15" or double 18" incoming, Legis of course said HORN but you know him, eh :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.