Manninen presents: Steel is Real

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
high tpl200h
mid: b&w fst, part number still open
low mid 15nmb420
low 18n862

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Interesting. I am also working on a project and have chosen the TPL-150H and was considering the B&W midrange as well, together with a PHL 8" or Beyma 12P80Nd (all dedicated midrange candidates).

What made you choose the B&W driver?
BTW, I own that driver inside my 804S speakers.

Cheers

one M6 thread was reason to buy those, and got good specs in zaphaudio, well not my part number. anyway

daumn, lost only about 10db and gained 20 percentage points temp.could modify intake a little bit

bms´s are expected on friday

Last edited:
i don´t know what peak volt or what limiter value is but log does not show any overload or anything. maybe air from coil was little warmer. kicked pretty hard and clean. i think i never have to go that level again but now i know that 862 can take some power without box.

if that were 4th order box my toothpaste would been fall from closet

four is enough but those four have to be attached to tectonic plate.
during burn in perioid 2hours loud playing this 50-60kg speaker had moved around 10cm.
problem is noticable if you move speaker up on pole.

might be problem with that 15"

well, there isn´t sand yet in the pipe.

weight, speaker placement and how rigid is the floor are the three points.

four 10mm are rigid enough but i have 20mm steel waiting for plate mount

mad9 goes alloy:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

we had midsummer here last weekend, different to most people we didn´t have hangover but listened few hours of good music.
Looking forward how similar are fst´s to 8351´s midrange, i hope for better distortion numbers, atleast.

fst´s are here on friday with a hefty bill.

titi must dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPy0vPye2EY

Last edited:

pipe is filled with sand, now base weights 43,8kg.
bass predator is now made solid 16mm and 20mm, really interesting stuff to bend :)
i did not want to weld 18" to baseplate yet, for resonance point of view it maybe must be done but i need to keep this as module type of system. i want to check how room affects with elements. first try is Woofer-Mid-Tweeter-Midwoofer, as module i can mix things up. Woofer height is around 1/2 room height.

15"nmb´s estimated next tuesday
damn! ready before snow?

Last edited:
With the large size drivers and high excursion,
you will be asking too much on the metal frame (even if it is sand filled).
And I am struggling to understand how you choose your speaker mounting:
Some are magnet and some are frame mounted. Why?
I thought it was established that the best baffleless designs are the
hanging / swinging ones:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/175745-three-way-nude-swinging-dipole-thread.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/142015-my-open-baffle-dipole-beyma-tpl-150-a.html

stig mentioned baffle resonance, thats why i didn´t copy that.
and wire systems with +10kg speakers ain´t my thing, steel is easy material.
magnet mount is because it´s easy and only chance to hang an fst.

now playing with dipole bass and two monopoles mid/high, sounds too different like stig said it. just had to heard it myself :)

pole does not hold if theres infrasounds, it start to live around 5-9hz, i use 25hz 24 HPF
i have no problems with normal listening levels, could be around 80kg when finished

here´s right hand rt and decay

Last edited:
i am planning a similar 4 way design with

18", 15", 8" and B&G Neo8S
crossed at 75, 300 and 1200hz

or

18", 15", 6" and B&G Neo3
crossed at 75, 400, 2400 hz

15", 8/6" and B&G drivers will be baffleless(nude) hanging/swinging
i will put 18" on a separate ripole/SLOB frame for sub duties

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.