internal wiring with silver solid core? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2004, 09:52 AM   #1
hanskrj is offline hanskrj  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default internal wiring with silver solid core?

Building a new pair of two-ways. Vifa P17 and Seas 27tdfc. Have some 2mm diameter pure silver wire leftover. Would this be a good internal cable? Shoud I insulate the wires, or could I use them bare? Also wondering if silver wires can be soldered with regular silver-solder?
Old 1st February 2004, 02:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: internal wiring with silver solid core?

Quote:
Originally posted by hanskrj
Building a new pair of two-ways. Vifa P17 and Seas 27tdfc. Have some 2mm diameter pure silver wire leftover. Would this be a good internal cable? Shoud I insulate the wires, or could I use them bare? Also wondering if silver wires can be soldered with regular silver-solder?
You can use it if you like. Some people say that silver sounds to bright, I don't know, maybe, but there is no technical reason way it will not work fine.

Yes you should insulate them if they are to be in a position to short on a component or another wire.

Silver will solder fine with most any solder.
Old 1st February 2004, 04:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I always use solid silver wire, with Teflon tubing for insulation. Solders very easily & sounds excellent, IMO.
Old 2nd February 2004, 03:05 AM   #4
asauer is offline asauer  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to asauer
I don't understand why people go through such great lengths and expenses to do something like that when your tinsel leads and actual voice coil will completely defeat any attempt to have a path of very little resistance or "sonic quality" because no matter how nice of wire you use, the voice coil is still usually copper or aluminum. AND, the tinsel leads are probably alot less conductive.
Old 2nd February 2004, 03:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by asauer
I don't understand why people go through such great lengths...
Yep. The number of possible different conductors in an audio circuit is amazing. To name a few: tin, lead, copper, beryllium, silicon, aluminum, silver, gold, rhodium, ni-chrome, brass, etc. However, if one is going to the trouble of building his or her own circuit, why not use whatever one thinks is the best choice? The choices are available, why not use them? Come on, what is a better use of silver?

JF
Old 2nd February 2004, 03:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

silver wire is fine if you have it on hand....but I think any quality ofc copper wire is suited also designed for your demands

Hide this!Advertise here!