internal wiring with silver solid core?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building a new pair of two-ways. Vifa P17 and Seas 27tdfc. Have some 2mm diameter pure silver wire leftover. Would this be a good internal cable? Shoud I insulate the wires, or could I use them bare? Also wondering if silver wires can be soldered with regular silver-solder?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
hanskrj said:
Building a new pair of two-ways. Vifa P17 and Seas 27tdfc. Have some 2mm diameter pure silver wire leftover. Would this be a good internal cable? Shoud I insulate the wires, or could I use them bare? Also wondering if silver wires can be soldered with regular silver-solder?
You can use it if you like. Some people say that silver sounds to bright, I don't know, maybe, but there is no technical reason way it will not work fine.

Yes you should insulate them if they are to be in a position to short on a component or another wire.

Silver will solder fine with most any solder.

I don't understand why people go through such great lengths and expenses to do something like that when your tinsel leads and actual voice coil will completely defeat any attempt to have a path of very little resistance or "sonic quality" because no matter how nice of wire you use, the voice coil is still usually copper or aluminum. AND, the tinsel leads are probably alot less conductive.:confused:

asauer said:
I don't understand why people go through such great lengths...

Yep. The number of possible different conductors in an audio circuit is amazing. To name a few: tin, lead, copper, beryllium, silicon, aluminum, silver, gold, rhodium, ni-chrome, brass, etc. However, if one is going to the trouble of building his or her own circuit, why not use whatever one thinks is the best choice? The choices are available, why not use them? Come on, what is a better use of silver?

JF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.