Inside the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2015, 10:34 PM   #1
Trileru is offline Trileru  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Inside the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

I got a set of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers and after seeing the review of the 10.2 from AudioExcite (www.audioexcite.com Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 review part 1, and also I think he's Gornir from this forum) I decided to have a crack at mine.
After I took off the midwoofer I found the same crap job with the wool. Just packed in there, not even a remote attention to detail like gluing it to the walls or anything like that.
As you can see in this picture:

Click the image to open in full size.

Also the crossover was mounted vertically above the speaker connectors, not horizontally like the picture (this doesn't matter).
Further in the back there's a second piece of wool that's mounted the same way, just shoved in there.
Seams are not sealed, actually there's space between some parts inside. I also see a sort of metal pin protruding in the bottom. Maybe some structural thing that went the wrong way?
Second order crossover with two parallel 15uF capacitors for the low side. The high side has one 8.2uF cap. All caps are 50V rated, 105 degrees C and what I find curious is that even thou the 15uF caps are almost twice the capacitance of the 8.2uF one, they are twice as small. They seem from the same series and the only value different is the actual capacitance. Weird how they are smaller than the 8.2uF one.
Their ESR measured about 0.13R for the two 15uF in parallel (I guess 0.26R for each?) and 0.14R for the 8.2uF cap.
The actual capacitance measured 32uF for the two 15uF parallel ones and 8.7uF for the other.
Resistors measured 0.64R for the 0.68R rated one. The other resistor (rated 3.3R) measured 3.2R.
Inductors are 1.12mH and 0.178mH.
I also attached a schematic for the crossover. Tweeter has an air core inductor while the midwoofer has a metal core one.
Mid woofer measured a Re of 3.4R and tweeter 3.35R.
While the speakers look real nice on the outside, there's no attention to detail on the inside.
I'm going to seal the seams on the inside with filler and I'd replace the components on the crossover, especially the caps/resistors.
I don't know if it's worth messing with the metal core inductor. It's riveted on the board and I'm not sure if it would help the overall quality of the sound.
What do you say? Worth to replace with an air core one?
I'm not so sure on my inductance meter. It might not be super accurate but it gives a rough idea I guess.
As I see on Audio Excite site there's a more complicated mod for the tweeter section but I don't know if I'll go there yet, maybe later.

Upon reassembly I noticed that the insulating pad that sits between the crossover and speaker wall has a sticky side that doesn't have the protecting pad taken off.
I did that myself and sticked it to the wall of the speaker.
The wool doesn't go all the way around the wall. It's shorter so there's nothing covering the top side of the speaker. It is also bigger in width so I have to fold it. The same for the one in the back.
I need to take measurements and replace the wool with something better and correct size.
I am really disappointed with the attention to detail inside these units.
Wharfedale lost my trust completely with this.
Although the units sound and look really good I really don't like the way they treated the insides of this unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2723.JPG (178.2 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2725.JPG (182.7 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2726.JPG (178.9 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2732.JPG (160.8 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2735.JPG (172.8 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2739.JPG (156.1 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2745.JPG (186.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2746.JPG (145.5 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2747.JPG (122.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2749.JPG (180.0 KB, 161 views)
Old 28th March 2015, 10:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Also the crossover schematic (with measured values).
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 22.35.07.png (80.4 KB, 235 views)
Old 28th March 2015, 11:29 PM   #3
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

IMO, there is very little you can do to this speaker to improve it. It has been value engineered to the nth degree. Nevertheless, do not allow my opinion to discourage you; I am keen to see what you come up with.
Old 28th March 2015, 11:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm not looking to turn it into something it isn't going to be anyway
I'd like just to properly seal the inside, stick the wool to the walls and maybe replace the caps/resistors since it wouldn't be something expensive. I guess 20 bucks for all parts isn't that much.
As I said, I really like the way it sounds. It would just make me feel fuzzy inside knowing I've sealed the inside and the wool is sitting nice Right now it's covering the ports and looks like a poor job.
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:09 PM   #5
udailey is online now udailey  United States
Passive Aggressive
diyAudio Member

You could upgrade the wire and check parts express for better ports. Ive never heard good things about iron core inductors. I dont know much about crossovers but if the core saturates it wont have the same value until its not saturated so it cant perform as well as an air core.
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:10 PM   #6
Passive Aggressive
diyAudio Member

Cap values are low enough that you can replace with film caps. This you will hear an improvement.
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I will completely remove the crossover and go bi-amp with an active crossover. Will see how that sounds...
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:14 PM   #8
Passive Aggressive
diyAudio Member

Great idea!
Old 5th May 2015, 08:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I finally went bi-amp with these speakers.
I removed the crossover completely and installed good ol' wire instead.
I got an active crossover (4th order LR) and used the same crossover frequency of 1.8KHz or so.
I also made some measurements on them before and after using REW with a Scarlett 2i4 audio card and a T.Bone MM1 measurement microphone.
I put each speaker in turn in the middle of the room at about 60cm from the floor and the microphone on axis at about 50cm distance from the speaker.
I made a full range test and then on each driver separately. I added all 3 measurements in one picture overlaid.
The microphone is not calibrated, I just used it to get an idea on what's happening. I might have had the highs a bit louder on the bi-amped one. Actually they were at the same level as the low pass. The passive crossover attenuates the highs a few db.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left.jpg (264.1 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg right.jpg (256.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 5th May 2015, 10:04 PM   #10
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Glueing stuffing to the walls will do squat.
It's simply not necessary, or useful.

rgds, sreten

Hide this!Advertise here!