JBL JBL W15gti Wiring for Home - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2015, 07:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default JBL JBL W15gti Wiring for Home

So I've been helping a friend build his own home cabinets. Unfortunately, against my advice, he bought two JBL W15gti DVC subwoofers. They're for a car, but I still want to wire them into his home cabinets.

How do i do So?

The subs are rated at 6 ohms, which is not what I've worked with before( 4, 8, or 16 is what I'm used to) Furthermore, since they are Dual Voice Coils, I need to wire the voice coils as well. So I'm a bit out of my league as for experience goes here. I Have yet to buy the amplifier for him, as i don't know what to really get (at what impedance it will stable??)

My setup for him, when all is said and done, is hopefully the W15gti, JBL 2425H (8 ohms) through JBL 2370a Horns, and a pair of tweeters (since the 2425H through the 2370a Horns have a dropoff at 16Khz.)

Either way. I will be using an active crossover hopefully, ran to two different amplifiers, powering all 6 speakers. (One for the subwoofers, the other for the mid compression drivers/ tweeters)

Either way. How do I wire the subwoofers, and at what impedance?
Old 23rd March 2015, 10:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What amp? I'd wire parallel+series for a 6ohm load in most cases (at least 6ohm stable load).
Old 24th March 2015, 02:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Each JBL W15gti DVC connected in parallel is about 3 Ohms so a 4 Ohm stable amp would work fine for the subs/woofs(?). The problem here is do you get enough range to 1K/1K2? A good woofer doesn't need crossover anyway. Start with crossing the mids/horns with the desired crossover and amps. " la Wayne Parham" so to speak, (read PiSpeakers) you might need a good attenuation networks for the highs and complementary compensation without the use of the tweeter.
W15GTI MkII & W12GTI MkII
Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance
Old 24th March 2015, 03:08 AM   #4
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Any stout amp stable to 4Ω will suffice to drive a W15GTi with coils wired in parallel. It's not that tough a load (and a fantastic woofer). They are also used in a JBL Vertec sub, and rated as "dual 8Ω coil" despite having the same coil.

I used to run one as a subwoofer powered by a Crown XTi2000 bridged to mono.
Old 25th March 2015, 07:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response guys. I will start drawing up a diagram for him to wire them at 3 ohms, and start looking for a 4 ohm stable amplifier. Any other advice you guys have? I know i should bridge the amp to mono for subwoofers correct?

Hide this!Advertise here!