JBL Paragon DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a vegetable juice commercial where a man drinking a glass of orange juice taps his forehead with the palm of his hand and moans, "I could of had a V8"

Beautiful sweet juice was sought after, until science proved the nutrition of Green Smoothies.

Like many here, I lust after a JBL Everest DD66000 or DD67000 which used are $25K - $30K with good resale value. The Everest has greater audio nutrition than the Paragon. To many, the Paragon has more audio sweet beauty than the Everest.

Some things man must build. Some things man can buy.

Attachments

• High Audio Nutrition.JPG
    High Audio Nutrition.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,306
  • Sweet Audio Juice.jpg
    Sweet Audio Juice.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,109
I'm with you makaso. I'm building a dedicated listening room in my basement and would love to build a Paragon clone for my living room to use when I have guests. The retro look would be right in tune with present décor trends and I'm sure it could be made to sound reasonable.

it's worth the efford

I listened to a paragon here in Germany 1982 and it was the most impressive sound I've ever heard. The Paragon was new and one of the last models of the production.

I've biuld my own Paragon in 2003. It was a long and tricky road to success.
If you do the woodwork right and can lay you hands on good speaker components and crossovers, you'll end up with a speaker that deliveres a unique soundstage with mids to die for.

... and for the looks, I can't imagine a better looking speaker in my livingroom.

If you are willing to sin against the JBL Gods, you can get superior sound from a SEOS 24 waveguide with a 1.4” BMS 4594ND-coaxial compression driver.

JMLC eliptical horns also interesting shapes with good performance

Attachments

• Paragon SEOS_24.jpg
    Paragon SEOS_24.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
The JBL 2240 is great and the 2441 is close. Can't imagine the BMS sounds better in the midrange. I have had only the small format BMS but thought they were a joke for music in the home. Top 2440/2441 with 2402 or 2405 for the UHF range

EDIT- oh I do have the large format BMS with plastic diaphragm - didn't care for them. Forget the model off hand.

Last edited:
I bought the plans on Ebay. They're black and white, not grey scale, so some pages are a little hard to read. There are also a few missing drawings.
The original design is very old school. Lots of cleats and wood screws put in by hand with a screwdriver. I started to re-engineer it in Sketchup using pocket hole screws and biscuits, but before too long decided to just make a big bass reflex like the DD67000 or 4350. Even that takes months. Look at the 4351s. Very pretty, but definitely not mid-century modern.

decided to just make a big bass reflex like the DD67000.

You can have it ALL! ...and you can have it NOW! Buy a used DD66000 for ~ $22,000.

But if getting there is half the fun for you......AMAZING build by Guido

DIY Everest DD66000....finally by Guido in Audio Heritage forum

"It was a 2 year project but finally the cabinets are ready for pickup. They are still at my carpenters shop but will be picked up soon. Many thanks to my Carpenter for his outstanding work!
The components to be used are:
4x JBL 1500AL
2x JBL 476Be
2x JBL 045Be-1
Thanks to Giskard for his help to get these incredible stack of componets together!

I must confess that all crossover parts are still sitting on the shelf and I didn't manage to make the crossovers yet. I bet I'll be fast when the cabinets are here.

I will post some progress here but it will need some time as I'll do it right"

DIY Everest DD66000....finally

Attachments

• DD66000 Guido.jpg
    DD66000 Guido.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 375
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.