Interdyn bi-amp bi-wiring: impedance mystery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently inherited a pair of tower speakers, Interdyn with SEAS drivers, each cabinet having dual sets of binding posts strapped with a jumper. Wired as such, I can hear the 3 drivers in each cabinet working.

BUT: when I disconnect the jumpers, I measure zero (0) DCR across the upper pair of terminals (highs), while measuring about 4 ohms across the other terminal pair (lows).

That said, when I connect a solid-state amplifier to the zero-DCR pair, high frequencies indeed come through the tweeter. And lows are delivered to the woofer through the other terminal pair, as expected.

My question is: is it safe to connect a valve amplifier to the zero-DCR pair? I don't want to present my pride and joy with a zero-ohm speaker load!

Mind-boggling, if you ask me. There's a massive crossover network inside each cabinet, comprising transformers and such... yikes!

Any clues as to an explanation would be appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.