Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2004, 01:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to coolkhoa Send a message via MSN to coolkhoa Send a message via Yahoo to coolkhoa
Default Vifa TC series overlooked?

The Vifa TC series midbasses, in particular the 3-1/2" and 4-1/2" units, seem to be good alternatives to the Tangband full-range units. Of course, they will have to be paired with some tweeters. But given Vifa's reputation for quality and consistency and the versatility of the TC range, I'm surprised they have not been implemented in any published designs.

Does anyone have experience with them? Perhaps this thread will make them popular...

Vifa TC Series at Parts Express
Old 30th January 2004, 01:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Post the URL for specs and we'll have a look.
Old 30th January 2004, 01:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to coolkhoa Send a message via MSN to coolkhoa Send a message via Yahoo to coolkhoa
I just edited my post to include Vifa at Parts Express. This link will take you there also.
Old 30th January 2004, 01:51 AM   #4
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default The TC26TG tweeter...

... is actually a rather nice sounding one, especially for the money, well worth looking at for a good system within a moderate budget.

Haven't used any other TC's yet, one reason being that I have other stuff sitting on the shelf I have to use first.
Old 30th January 2004, 03:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, factor in the cost of parts to get rid of the high freq nasties (especially with the 3.5" model) and it seems less attractive.
Old 30th January 2004, 03:40 AM   #6
phs is offline phs  Australia
diyAudio Member

slightly larger, but i am about to implement the TC14 5.5"
http://www.d-s-t.com/vifa/data/tc14sg49-08d.htm

into a pair of "small" PC speakers, however with a VAS of 10.5L i get a maximally flat response from BassBox in a volume of 12L with a FB of 45 and an F3 of 53

i have only seen them used in a 14Lish pair of 2ways from Selah
http://www.selahaudio.com/rc2.html
Old 30th January 2004, 04:01 AM   #7
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

the 4" I did a fullrange design with a filter on it at my DIY event.
Dave from Victoria was stunned at never knowing about them.AS he is a MR FULLRANGE
His friend bought them at the event.
I never measured them but I am building another design that I will have up later in a kit.
Simple and very neutral.

Al
Old 30th January 2004, 04:01 AM   #8
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
actually i have used th tc series 4" and 6" and 1" and 3/4". the tc sereis 4"need a tweeter the TB 871 can make do without. 2 different animals
Old 30th January 2004, 04:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ScottRHinson
Default Vifa TC vs. Tang Band

Hmm...double posted..tried to remove this one...sorry, I'm a little trigger happy on the clicker finger apparently....
Old 30th January 2004, 04:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ScottRHinson
Default Vifa TC vs. Tang Band

At least for the 4" drivers I would very much rather have the Vifa TC series. I've tested the IMD performance of the Vifa TC11SG-49-08 and the W4-654S, W4-616S woofers from Tang Band. The Vifa woofer beat them hands down in IMD tests centered on 150Hz, and is quite a capablie little woofer. It's a bit more expensive I think, and does require a little more work on the xover, but it is a much better sounding driver in my opinion.

I don't find the parameters of the TC18 series drivers to be all that useful for most of my applications. Either not enough bass extension or not enough power handling, and they don't tend to work well in vented enclosures. The TC14SG is a mighty fine little woofer.

I've never tried the TC08 series...never needed to make that tiny of a box.

I'll try and remember to post the IMD plots this weekend when I have time to go to the other computer and find them. If you guys haven't seen them by Sunday, send me an email or something to remind me. I could forget too.

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!