Vifa TC series overlooked?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Vifa TC series midbasses, in particular the 3-1/2" and 4-1/2" units, seem to be good alternatives to the Tangband full-range units. Of course, they will have to be paired with some tweeters. But given Vifa's reputation for quality and consistency and the versatility of the TC range, I'm surprised they have not been implemented in any published designs.

Does anyone have experience with them? Perhaps this thread will make them popular...

Vifa TC Series at Parts Express

the 4" I did a fullrange design with a filter on it at my DIY event.
Dave from Victoria was stunned at never knowing about them.AS he is a MR FULLRANGE
His friend bought them at the event.
I never measured them but I am building another design that I will have up later in a kit.
Simple and very neutral.

Al

Vifa TC vs. Tang Band

At least for the 4" drivers I would very much rather have the Vifa TC series. I've tested the IMD performance of the Vifa TC11SG-49-08 and the W4-654S, W4-616S woofers from Tang Band. The Vifa woofer beat them hands down in IMD tests centered on 150Hz, and is quite a capablie little woofer. It's a bit more expensive I think, and does require a little more work on the xover, but it is a much better sounding driver in my opinion.

I don't find the parameters of the TC18 series drivers to be all that useful for most of my applications. Either not enough bass extension or not enough power handling, and they don't tend to work well in vented enclosures. The TC14SG is a mighty fine little woofer.

I've never tried the TC08 series...never needed to make that tiny of a box.

I'll try and remember to post the IMD plots this weekend when I have time to go to the other computer and find them. If you guys haven't seen them by Sunday, send me an email or something to remind me. I could forget too.

Scott

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
Well, factor in the cost of parts to get rid of the high freq nasties (especially with the 3.5" model) and it seems less attractive.

I will have to agree. The response curve of the 3.5" isn't the least bit flat, and I'm really a flat freak...:D

I'll tackle this one once I have adequate experience designing crossovers and filters.

Re: Vifa TC vs. Tang Band

ScottRHinson said:

I'll try and remember to post the IMD plots this weekend when I have time to go to the other computer and find them. If you guys haven't seen them by Sunday, send me an email or something to remind me. I could forget too.
Scott

Okay, so here are the plots. I might have posted these in earlier threads regarding Vifa or Tang Band drivers...but...here they are again.

First, the testing is done in a very similar way that Dr. Linkwitz does with his IMD tests. The drivers are fed 3 tones centered at 150Hz. The two outside tones at 165 and 135 are 6dB down from the 150Hz tone. The level is scaled so that the 150Hz tone would be 96dB at 1 meter. So, both speakers are driven to a level where they are producing the same amount of sound for the 150Hz tone.

Only those three tones are in the input signal. Any other frequency shown is distortion.

First, the Tang Band 4" (can't remember which of the two models this is...sorry, my notes have a blank on this! grrr.)

Attachments

• tbw4imd.png
    tbw4imd.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 428
Next the Vifa TC11SG49...

Notice how the levels of distortion in the vifa are at least 5-10dB down, and the 3'rd order products are ~20dB lower than the Tang Band woofer. In my opinion this leads to a much cleaner, open, natural sound for the Vifa driver compared to the Tang Band.

This is really pretty good results for a 4.5" woofer, considering that it has limited displacement capabilities. Vifa did a pretty darn good job with this one.

Scott

Attachments

• tc11sg49.png
    tc11sg49.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 409
Hi!

good to found some who have experience with that speakers.
What do you think, is the tc11xx a replacement for the fostex 10cm speakers in a horn construction (buschhorn mkII), combined with the vifa xt25 that I already have... T´S are very similar...
How they perform when driven with very high power?

Thankyou!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.