Vifa TC series overlooked?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm interested in everyone's results :D i also know a lot of people used these in a mtm setup, but those plans (and yours) would be very helpful. like i said, i'm just a TM setup, but crossover points people used would aid in my design. i remember reading that some people picked 3000 as the point, but i cant quite remember. the front baffle is 9"x36" and the drivers are flush mounted, i dont know if that will come in to play at all.....

FWIW, I did both a single and dual T/S max flat ML-TL design using the TC18WG49-08's published specs awhile back, but never got built AFAIK. They sim ~billiard table flat to >40Hz/half space with minimal damping, though with a ~4mm linear excursion, power handling is limited to ~15/30W down low.

While their Vb is fairly large by current standards, the >50" height makes their footprints fairly room/SAF friendly. Anyone up for 'burning some wood' and let us know the results?

GM

GM said:
FWIW, I did both a single and dual T/S max flat ML-TL design using the TC18WG49-08's published specs ...

Anyone up for 'burning some wood' and let us know the results?
My first project (and to date only one to completion!) was with the similar TC18WG-15-08 ("buyout" at PE). I used the TC series tweeter as well.

It's a mess because I also insisted on designing my own crossover (and these drivers have nasty resonances!), but I like the results. I think my pipe was 80 in^2 CSA, 42" high, with abt. a 6" long 3" dia port (front firing). 'fraid I don't have any measurments (getting there, getting there).

If I were to do it over with the TC's, I'd do the MTM... There's nice bass to impress with single woofer, but you can't turn it up without distorting. They image well.

While their Vb is fairly large by current standards, the >50" height makes their footprints fairly room/SAF friendly.

My spouse thought that "better = smaller" (hey, just look at the B*se acoustimass, they're as good as speakers get :xeye: ) so her first comment on mine was, "gee, could you have possibly made them any larger?". I couldn't get myself to tell her that I'd considered making them twice the size (MTM) :eek:

mk

I have no expereince with the TC18's, but my first DIY-speaker uses the 5" TC-model. The speakers are 13L, 2-way bassreflex type, and have Vifa D20TD-05-06 tweeter. I've just finished a 'prototype' enclosure, and I've only test-listened it with simple "coil and cap" -crossover. surprisingly good sound (I'm not an expert, u see) :D

Could someone give some cross-over advice? I'm interested getting the best sound out of these drivers...? Currently I plan to cross them at 3000Hz :rolleyes:

Hey Guys,

I just dug out a couple Vifa TC08SD69-08 drivers from an old box of stuff.. Are these similar to the TC08SD49 drivers? I can't seem to find any info on them at all. Has anybody used these drivers before,or have any info on them?
I'm just curious,and looking for a bit of info on them..maybe I'll put them to use somehow.
They look a little different than the pictures of the TC08SD49 drivers,and they're shielded too. ;)
Thanks in advance!

Vivek said:
I used a crossover frequency of 2500Hz for my TC18 MTM project.
Vivek

Me too (for my MT). the TC18 can be limited to 100Hz as it is fed from a HT/AV (by choosing "SMALL" for the front speakers). I do this when I intend to listen to movies at louder levels. Otherwise they are fullrange. Below 100Hz a pair of 8" (one per channel) perform bass duites. Since the room is not large (about 250 sq ft and only a 8.5' ceiling) it is adequate.

I have found some rooms to be hopelessly inefficient in supporting bass and others to be a lot better. My other system uses 2 12" woofer per channel in a 330 sq. ft room (9.5' ceiling) and the woofers dont overpower the room.

I cant seem to locate my XO design. I guess I would have to open the speakers and trace them out. UGH!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.