SkinnyBoy's elcheapo bad sounding, taking way too long to make towers are FINISHED!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thats right... tweeters are mounted... speakers are connected to 2 amps.. and they are ready for me to hate the sound of, but for the money, what can you expect? :p

$160 for all 4 woofer...
$74 for the tweeters
$60 for the MDF for the boxes
$15 for the paint/finish
$12 for the biscuits
$12 for nuts, bolts and screws
$10 for speaker terminals
$8 for speaker ports

TOTAL: $350 close enough :p lol

some pics are attached... hosted by myself... I am yet to add them to the webpage I made, so this will have to do for now :p

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The amps and the CD player (CDrom drive) the top amp is running one tweeter and one woofer per channel, and bottom amp is running one woofer per channel :) the woofers are being given the full frequency range...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is.. ahh SkinnyBoy.. lol :D

the other speakers are my dads.... no comment... sealed 12inches... thats all I can remember.. lol

ok.. first off see my www :)

the woofers are cheap Venom brand from Jaycar... 88dB efficiency, I BELIEVE I end up with 6dB more than this as I have 2, and am running twice the power.... so I assume 94dB... the tweeters are Peerless 811827... I think.. lol with an efficiency of 92dB I think... lol anyway... I didn't attenuater (?) anything at all...

umm... yeah... crossover is 6dB per oct at a pretty low frequency.. probably too low really.. :S

pinkmouse said:
Hey Skinny, they look pretty good ! Well done!

Care to share your opinions on how they sound? :)

yeah... they sound pretty nice.... I believe the Peerless tweeters helped... mids are somewhat lacking due tio teh fact they are "subwoofers" but for the money, I'm not complaining :) I like the way you can FEEL the bass.. lol :rolleyes: ok.. so I'm not an audiophile :p lol

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
SkinnyBoy said:
I like the way you can FEEL the bass.. lol :rolleyes: ok.. so I'm not an audiophile :p lol

Hey, the whole point of why we do this DIY thing is to make a system sound the way we want it to! (Flames, or debate, in another thread please :) )

As for your point about the crossovers, I assume you just bought off the shelf items? If so, when the bug bites again, (and it will), you could measure your drivers and box and build a proper crossover to suit.

pinkmouse said:

Hey, the whole point of why we do this DIY thing is to make a system sound the way we want it to! (Flames, or debate, in another thread please :) )

As for your point about the crossovers, I assume you just bought off the shelf items? If so, when the bug bites again, (and it will), you could measure your drivers and box and build a proper crossover to suit.

this is how I want it... too loud for everyone else in the house.. lol

no... all I am using for the crossover is a single capacitor on each tweeter... I would really like to do some 3 ways with 12inch XLS Peerlesses.. lol :D EVIL!!!

SY said:
Nice work!

What's that on the floor near the mains socket and the heater? It looks like... a pink mouse.

that pink thing is a turtle.. lol its a massager thing my sister bought for my mum to give her massages.. lol so, its for mum to use om my sister.. lol what sort of a present is that? :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.