First build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2015, 10:57 PM   #1
TomFord is offline TomFord  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First build

How's it going gentlemen?

Doing my first speaker build. Have done research and learned a lot the last few months, yet after reading a thread on here titled one or two midrange's I still have a lot to learn.

The drivers I currently have are 2 KEF R series 6.5 LF speakers, a pair of Audison AV6 components (2 6.5' woofers, 2 1' tweeters, 2 passive crossovers) that I purchased for rear fill in the car but after testing them out on a baffle they sound too good to be placed in the back of the car.
3 KEF 1' Uni-Q tweeters
4 of the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelves (would like to keep 1 pair if possible)
2 of Pioneer center channels from same Andrew Jones line (sale on Amazon where everything in Andrew Jones line was well under 50% original cost)
1 KEF 6.5 Uni-Q from Q series
1 KEF 5' Uni-Q - reason for odd # of tweeters. Purchased a R600c that was damaged in shipping. The cone is missing on it, and have been unable to find a replacement
3/4 MDF

Was thinking 1 of the KEF and Audison 6.5 with the Uni-Q tweeter. Unsure if I should use Pioneer midrange as I don't believe they are same quality. Tested the 6.5 with tweeter above it and it sounded a lot better than I was anticipating.

How would you configure the drivers? A D'Appolito configuration or a different layout?

Active crossovers over passive?

Appreciate any assistance gentlemen. Learned quite a bit through testing different things, but have reached a point where I could really benefit from those with experience

Thanks,

Tom
Old 7th March 2015, 01:05 AM   #2
GKF is offline GKF  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFord View Post
How's it going gentlemen?

Doing my first speaker build. Have done research and learned a lot the last few months, yet after reading a thread on here titled one or two midrange's I still have a lot to learn.

The drivers I currently have are 2 KEF R series 6.5 LF speakers, a pair of Audison AV6 components (2 6.5' woofers, 2 1' tweeters, 2 passive crossovers) that I purchased for rear fill in the car but after testing them out on a baffle they sound too good to be placed in the back of the car.
3 KEF 1' Uni-Q tweeters
4 of the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelves (would like to keep 1 pair if possible)
2 of Pioneer center channels from same Andrew Jones line (sale on Amazon where everything in Andrew Jones line was well under 50% original cost)
1 KEF 6.5 Uni-Q from Q series
1 KEF 5' Uni-Q - reason for odd # of tweeters. Purchased a R600c that was damaged in shipping. The cone is missing on it, and have been unable to find a replacement
3/4 MDF

Was thinking 1 of the KEF and Audison 6.5 with the Uni-Q tweeter. Unsure if I should use Pioneer midrange as I don't believe they are same quality. Tested the 6.5 with tweeter above it and it sounded a lot better than I was anticipating.

How would you configure the drivers? A D'Appolito configuration or a different layout?

Active crossovers over passive?

Appreciate any assistance gentlemen. Learned quite a bit through testing different things, but have reached a point where I could really benefit from those with experience

Thanks,

Tom
hi there
d appolito 2 ways are great design . one thing to consider with active is always better if you can get into it ie amps. a biamped 2 way is dynamic as hell.
keep us posted please
Old 8th March 2015, 09:37 AM   #3
TomFord is offline TomFord  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks. For the active crossovers what do you guys suggest?

The ones I've seen that appear to be optimal for what I'm trying to accomplish are for car audio. The Audio Control 6XS, and a model by Clarion stuck out to me in the few dozen I've seen. Or is one of the Beringer models the better route?

Thanks again
Old 8th March 2015, 03:21 PM   #4
GKF is offline GKF  Canada
diyAudio Member

if you would like to check try xkitz.com. they offer in kit form 2 way active or rod elliot has a great design as well.
i always will build my own so these are great fun projects that do the same. not expensive to build . you build and see if you like bi amp without a lot of money.
if you do go for it then you can always go all out for a controlled active.

i use a xkitz set at 2200hz my mono blocks power the woofers and a adcom stereo amp powers the tweeters in a biampable diy 2 way i have.

Hide this!Advertise here!