How much volume do I get for 3w RMS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks all for your responses.

Average volume definitely higher with modern pop song ( lots of compression I'd guess )

It turns out I wasn't even putting out 3w from my experimental class a amplifier more like 2 w though should be able to squeeze out another 1/2 watt by optimizing the bias.

If you play music with an average dynamic range (say 12dB) you are merely adjusting distortion if you listen above 80dBspl average.
With modern pop (6dB DR) that point is reached at 86dBspl (92dB - 6dB range).

With a really good classical recording (20dB DR) the average listening level should not exceed 72dBspl.

Of course this is all at 1m distance. If you are further away from the speakers reduce average levels accordingly.

I am not sure I understand the dynamic range argument. If the DR is 20dB, is that from the loudest to the quietest. If so isn't the average, half way; 10 dB down, in this case 82 dB? Which is fine for a lot of listening.

This is more a measure of crest factor. That is, the difference between the long term average and the short term peaks. What others are saying is that if you set your volume such that the peaks are just below clipping, then the average volume will be lower by an amount equal to the crest factor.

High crest factor (or high dynamic range) requires higher peak power if we want a given average loudness level. It is still a good thing.

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.