building the TARKUS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2015, 10:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default building the TARKUS

hi all

ive been a few years looking for a 3-way speaker i can build - after first aiming at a german design and later with the help of this forum, i understood that design used bad drivers..

then one helpful member tipped me about Tarkus by paul carmody and after a quick glance, i was sold. this was the speakers i had been looking for..

after i had made sure i can find all the components here in europe (thanks again guys!), i started sketching on the build.

i changed the volume first to allow for bracing, but i also added about 20% more volume to the sub box to get a little bit more deeper bass. also i decided for a rectangular slot vent instead of a tube. the slot vent takes up a fair bit of space on the heigth.

also im planning to do a stand for the speaker, fixing the sub leaned backwards a few degrees (similar to the original but different solution). but also i plan to make a variable stand for the mid/hi box so it can be adjusted from horizontal to about 8 inclination forward. this is since these speakers ended up fairly tall, so for home cinema use, i decided i felt like having the possibility to aim the tweeter towards the couch.

also i added a small compartment in the back of the mid/high box to fit the crossover.

high/mid box has same volume as original (i added only the space needed for the braces)

the subwoofer is now 78,3 liters or 2.75 cubic foot.

outside measures;
total heigth is about 130 cm or 51"
width of subwoofer section is 31cm or 12".

Click the image to open in full size.

also im thinking of adding wheels to bottom.. not 100% sure about it yet though.. but it would be nice to be able to slide them around a bit if needed... the design above is made using 30mm MDF and it is going to get very heavy.

when watching movies i will use also this subwoofer im going to build recycling 4 sealed 12" subs i have had for 6 years to BR. the isocube project

.. i hope i can start soon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tarkus2-final.jpg (97.5 KB, 848 views)
File Type: jpg tarkus2-finalc.jpg (161.8 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg tarkus2-finala.jpg (168.0 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg tarkus2-finalb.jpg (225.5 KB, 455 views)

Last edited by butterwitz; 19th February 2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 19th February 2015, 11:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

re:"made using 30mm MDF and it is going to get very heavy" - use 18mm ply
Old 19th February 2015, 11:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That looks sweet!

Does the crossover design have a tall vertical sweet spot? If so, you may not need the tilting, but it looks cool. Nice bracing too.
Old 20th February 2015, 12:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

pete - plywood costs a lot down here in spain. up to 40 euro per m2.. mdf is my only option

richidoo - the top box with the mid and tweeter is separate so when i have built them i will make a test to see if i need to have it tilted or not. the issue is the couch will be quite a bit lower than the tweeter. im just taking precations in case "if needed"

the subwoofers original design is tilted even more backwards. i reduced the angle a bit.
Old 20th February 2015, 12:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

i have to admit at first i wanted to have rounded side panels to give it a fatter look - but due to size restrictions i decided to ditch that path even though i liked it more.
Old 20th February 2015, 07:38 AM   #6
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterwitz View Post

also im thinking of adding wheels to bottom..
not 100% sure about it yet though.. but it would
be nice to be able to slide them around a bit if
needed... the design above is made using 30mm
MDF and it is going to get very heavy.
Wheels is smart, 30 mm mdf not. You don't need it.
Old 20th February 2015, 09:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The Tarkus design enables one to optimize cabinet construction to frequency range in consideration. The bass enclosure would have to be stiff with massive use of bracing of all cabinet walls. The mid cabinet would ideally be 'lossy', choose a rather thin plywood (birch?) of 12mm and apply lots of bitumen or other heavy and non-resonant damping sheets on all panels. Think of layers of 10 to 15mm thick. Also, decoupling the unit from the baffle would help here.
Old 20th February 2015, 02:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
Wheels is smart, 30 mm mdf not. You don't need it.

i have only used 30mm mdf when building subwoofers this far and i really like the results. however now when im getting older i really do not feel like carrying 80 kilo speakers around when painting them.

this weekend im going to make other versions of the plans for the Tarkus build and for my subwoofer re-build. ill try with 25mm mdf and ill see how heavy they get calculating the mass per cm3 etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbakk
The Tarkus design enables one to optimize cabinet construction to frequency range in consideration. The bass enclosure would have to be stiff with massive use of bracing of all cabinet walls. The mid cabinet would ideally be 'lossy', choose a rather thin plywood (birch?) of 12mm and apply lots of bitumen or other heavy and non-resonant damping sheets on all panels. Think of layers of 10 to 15mm thick. Also, decoupling the unit from the baffle would help here.
the drawback is the price here for good birch plywood. its various times more expensive than MDF. as stated before spain unfortunatelly does not have much forrest.. they only produce low quality pine plywood which is so porous (i use it at work - yuk!) it would be un-suitable.

actually in my town i cant even find birch plywood. the only plywood available is of a wood called "Okume" and is used in boat building and has impressive stats regardng resitance to humidity etc but it seems overkill. i have no idea how suitable this would be for speaker building, also it is tremendously expensive. i would need 500 euros worth of plywood per speaker. it is not even realistic...

so - using plywood the cost of material would be atleast 5 times higher... having to add bitumen would increase the price even more.

it sucks but the only realistic option i can find here is MDF.
Old 20th February 2015, 02:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

using 25mm mdf the speakers would be about 20 % lighter. it might be worth to check out... the price difference is really small though, it would end up only 6 euro cheaper per speaker.
Old 20th February 2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterwitz View Post
i have only used 30mm mdf when building subwoofers
this far and i really like the results.
Your boxes are braced to death, need not more than 19 mm
and woofers are designed for surface mounting anyway. If there
is anything worth a little thought, then it's the amount of box
stuffing.

TM box is definitely more critical and wouldn't hurt to check
by measuring. A formula for calculating standing wave frequency:
fr=172/inner dimension in meters

I suggest, if you already have not decided so, get an unexpensive
measurement mic and learn to measure with free software
(ARTA, Holm Impulse, REW).

Take care of your health while building.

Hide this!Advertise here!