Going way under VAS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to use Vifa speakers I have in an enclosure that's 30% of what WinIsd recommends. I'll stuff the cabinets heavily , but I'm still way way under the recommended volume.

I'll be using the Vifa's as satelites and crossing over to right & left subs. The XO to the subs can be anywhere from 60-215hz

In the reduced sized cabinet the Vifa's are +1.3 DB at 215hz and would peak around +4 DB at 110hz (if I let them go that low).

I'll be running my pre into a 31 band Yamaha EQ and then into a Behringer active XO with a 24 DB slope.

My thinking was that if I crossed over high (like around 200hz) I'm crossing over with a steep enough slope well above the huge bump at 110hz, so I avoid that problem.

I've read in a few posts (from searching) that one of the trade offs of using too small an enclosure was a reduction in the transient response.

I love crisp tight bass.

Please tell me if I'm being unrealistic about the size of the cabinet I'd like to use and/or point me in the direction to get more info on this.

Thanks,
Ralph

You could try sticking in an extra single order pole at something like 120-140Hz and see if that tames the peak. Or even try an aperiodic approach (you can put a variovent-type thingie on the back of the cabinet, and if it doesn't get you what you want, plug it up).

If you're not running bass through them, undersizing the cabinet is not at all unrealistic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.