2 Way Crossover Modification query

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am looking at making a 3 way floor standing speaker using the following drivers:
Audax HD100D25
Audax HD17b25j
Dalesford D200
8" passive radiator
I have a pair of 2way crossovers from a set of Audiomaster MLS 5's which use the 2 Audax drivers above, but with a second Audax HD17b25j as a passive radiator - is it going to be possible to modify the crossover to only allow midrange through the HD17b25j and make a second crossover for the Dalesford D200 - I am planning on bi-amping.
Or do I need to start from scratch?
I already have all these drivers, so different ones are not really an option. I had considered getting a set of Kef 104's, but they are going for silly prices these days and I would like to use what I have.
Attached is a pic of the crossover - I know it needs re-capping, but want to know if this is the way to go.
Any advice gratefully received:)
Thanks,
Colin

Attachments

• F6 1 Crossover for web.jpg
    F6 1 Crossover for web.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 119
Hi,

A fine set of old drivers .....

That is one hellishly complicated x/o for a 2 way.
7 inductors, 9 capacitors and 5 resistors.

You sure about the the MLS5's ?
IMO it is nowhere near, it is way too
complicated for an Audiomaster 2 way.

Trace out the x/o and post it here.

Biamping will give you a lot more options,
including line level passive bass to mid x/o.

rgds, sreten.

FWIW noting the unusual SP 2012 marking on
the central capacitor, a KEF SP2012 x/o exists,
for B300 bass unit (SP1071), B110 midrange unit
(SP1057), T52 tweeter (SP1072) for the 105.2.
But it is certainly not a KEF SP2012 105.2 x/o.

Falconacoustics may be able to help identify it.

Last edited:
Hi Sreten,
I will try and trace the cross over tomorrow.
They are definitely MLS 5 crossovers - I have a set, please see attached pic.
I bought a second pair of crossovers off Ebay and can confirm that they are definitely the same crossovers.
I'm not sure and can only guess that Robin Marshall was trying to mimic the ls3/5a sound - they are very similar, but with bass.

Thanks,
Colin

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Hi,
This is an interesting question!
When I first got these all three drivers were wired up (the mid/woofers were wired in parallel). They lacked mid range and did not sound right. I bought a set of Ram mini monitors that use the same drivers, but their mid range sounded much better, so I had a play around and tried running the MLS5's as a 2 way instead and their mid range came to life and the bass was still there, so I assumed someone had played with them before?
I cannot find any info about them on the web, unlike most of the other Audiomaster range, they are quite rare.
Pics attached of marked up cross overs - hopefully this is what you meant?

Thanks,
Colin

Attachments

• F6 1 Crossover for web rear.jpg
    F6 1 Crossover for web rear.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 89
  • F6 1 Crossover for web labelled.jpg
    F6 1 Crossover for web labelled.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 91
Thanks Sreten,
I thought what I had done was too easy!
I will attempt to trace it over the weekend - I'm struggling to follow it, but will do my best!
Am I right in saying that if it was a 2.5 way that there would be 8 terminals on it? They really didn't sound right when they were wired in parallel.
Thanks,
Colin

Hi,
There are 6 & 3 are directly linked on the board.
So I think I'm right in saying it's not a 2.5 way as there is not a third positive terminal.
Hoping to trace it on Sunday - think there will be a lot of head scratching involed:)
Thanks
Colin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    839.6 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.