BG Radia Neo drivers vs conventional tweeters and mids - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2015, 04:23 PM   #1
Dan_E10 is offline Dan_E10  United States
diyAudio Member

Default BG Radia Neo drivers vs conventional tweeters and mids

Hi all,
Since it looks like Radia's Neo drivers are not going to be offered to us diy'ers any more, I'm starting to think I should pick up a pair of Neo3's and Neo8's or 10's before it's too late. I've never heard any of these planar drivers before. I've heard Magnepan's but those are so different in concept I'm not sure if they're really comparable. I'm wondering how the Radia drivers compare to conventional cone and dome mids and tweeters, and also the HiVi planars.

I've seen Zaph's measurements on the Neo3's and Neo10's so I know they have low distortion and good frequency response. I'm not sure about thermal compression though. I read Linkwitz's article on sine burst testing with the Neo3 but it appeared that it wouldn't apply to the Neo3 crossed over at a higher frequency. I'd also be looking at trying these drivers in their own enclosures instead of open baffle. How well do they work "boxed" compared to conventional drivers? Also, while the frequency response looks usable, do they suffer from sympathetic resonance compared to conventional drivers?

thanks,
Dan
Old 16th February 2015, 07:59 PM   #2
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

It might already be too late. The only place in the states that has them might be GR Research- Meniscus and PE are out.
Old 17th February 2015, 01:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Saw something that looked a awful lot like Neo8's on AliExpress, calling it a tweeter.
Old 17th February 2015, 05:21 AM   #4
Rob41 is offline Rob41  United States
diyAudio Member

I called BG and one of the employees happened to pick up the phone even though it was already a done deal. The person I spoke with said there is a company in Europe that basically makes clones of the BG drivers. He said they were very good. He also said there is a Chinese company that makes knock offs that are junk.
Old 17th February 2015, 05:28 AM   #5
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

Dai-ichi in the Philippines is who made the drivers for B&G.
Old 18th February 2015, 09:58 PM   #6
Dan_E10 is offline Dan_E10  United States
diyAudio Member

Meniscus still has a few in stock and so does GR Research. I just order a pair of the Neo3's with the deeper back cup and the Neo8's from Danny at GR Research. The Neo8's sound interesting. They are an 8 ohm version, but not the Neo8S. They have thinner traces and what look to be more traces running between the gaps in between each set of magnets. So the sensitivity is the same as the 4 ohm version but with the higher impedance so apparently a bit better efficiency and hopefully better for thermal compression as well. We'll see how they work out.

I'm still interested in any subjective impressions of these drivers compared to domes/cones though, especially experiences running them in an enclosure.

Dan
Old 1st March 2015, 12:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Late to the party unfortunately but does anyone have any more information on how to get a pair of Neo8s's or clones?
Old 1st March 2015, 09:31 PM   #8
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Just check all possible sellers and also eBay! Also refurbished and second-hand items. At leas some European sellers still claim to have them available

bohlender - Audiophonics

Proraum Vertriebs-GmbH | Shop[shop_articles][action]=overview&index[shop_articles][category]=11
Old 1st March 2015, 09:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The Neo10 was 320 euro and the Neo 8 was 169 euro's. The other place was better pricing but I am on the search fro the Neo8-S. Probably not going to find anything but will keep looking. Thanks.
Old 1st March 2015, 10:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think the main reason the ribbons sound the way they do is because of their directivity.
IE, if you use a waveguide to achieve a similar response pattern, it will sound similar.

I have BG planars here, ribbons, domes, etc.

One thing I like a lot about the NEO3 and NEO8 is the depth; you can put it in spots that other speakers will not fit.

I'd be curious to see if an array of three or four of the cheap neo tweeters that PE sells would sound similar to a NEO3. Four of these in an array would have a sensitivity of about 95dB, in a package that's a similar size as a NEO3, for under sixty bucks:

Dayton Audio ND20FA-6 3/4" Neodymium Dome Tweeter

Hide this!Advertise here!