medium active 3-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Satori 6.5" midbass(MW16P) with acoustic LR4 Xover at 1800Hz to SB29RDNC tweeter is a great combination of well reviewed drivers. Trimming the SB29 faceplace to overlap the Satori reduces the C-to-C and this reduces lobing. A 12" like the SB Acoustics woofer would complete this 3-way.

Consider a clone of the Pass Labs SR-2 with ~3cuft for the SB12 supporting both sealed and ported options.
The cheaper 12" SB woofer is designed for sealed cabinets of ideally more than 4 ft^3 and with the SB 6.5" midwoofer and SB dimple dome tweeter would make a nice large speaker although the 6.5" midwoofer is a bit low on maximum SPL. A ported version in an "ideal" cabinet would be insanely large and in a 3 ft^3 I am not sure how you would tune it(?).

The more expensive 12" SB woofer is designed for a modest sized ported cabinet of a touch over 2 ft^3. This gives a -3dB of around 35 Hz like the sealed speaker above but with a steeper roll-off. It could also be designed to work well in a 3 ft^3. A sealed version in an ideal box is going to have a high 60 Hz or so roll off albeit in a small box. The better motor means this 12" will work nicely well into the midrange and so is likely to be better matched to a "proper" efficient, small displacement, stiff surround 5" midrange rather than a 6.5" midwoofer.

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Big is beautiful I will go ahead with a larger project we will likely be out of our condominium as soon as summer 2016. I figure in build time management and it may take up to or close to a year at any rate. Really looking forward to having a larger more dedicated room for my audio.

I want to do them in the separate enclosures as I mentioned and Im pretty firm on that. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...o-sb12.3-sb-acoustics-12-dual-midrange-3-way/

Baffles will be removable and fixed down by hex keys and inserts incase I screw up driver placement I can cut a new ones. Once I have that settled I can duplicate them with solid material that allows me to round out edges.

The SB34NRX75-6 12" driver is well suited as a 3cuft sealed box F3=40Hz woofer, and also with a Linkwitz Transform down to 20-30Hz. This is active's main requirement. A low port tuning around 15Hz will provide modest extended bass in a 3cuft volume, but as andy19191 pointed out the T/S parameters favor a much larger 8cuft box volume for deep ported bass.

A 12" woofer with a lighter cone and Qts around 0.35-0.37 would be better suited for both a good sealed andported alignment.
like: Dayton Audio Series 2 12" 46Hz sealed before boost, 31Hz ported
like: Lambda TD12S with MMs=53g
like: Peerless SLS 830669

I would always select one slightly larger M than two small M in and MTM topology. The other design recommendations in this thread are also for TMW 3-ways.

Attachments

• Peerless SLS 12.jpg
    Peerless SLS 12.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 111
AFTER YOUR MOVE --- Compatible 3-way drivers:
T= SB29RDCN-C000-4 Fs=550 Xmax=0.5mm allows LR4 at 1800Hz
M=SATORI MW16P-8 Sd=119cm^2 is closer to 5.5"
W=SB24NRXL75-8 T/S support sealed and ported flexibility in 3cuft box

Attached WinISD of the SB Acoustics SB24NRXL75-8 which has T/S parameters to achieve -3db at 43Hz in a 3cuft sealed box, and -3db at 31Hz in a 3cuft ported box tuned to 31Hz. A lower port tuning extends the down-slanting bass shelf and reduces the -3db frequency. Placing a speaker close to walls provides room bass gain starting around 100Hz-150Hz. It is often possible to adjust the port tuning(bass shelf) to complement the room bass gain and provide a flatter bass SPL curve at the lower port tuning when active equalization is not available.

Attachments

• SB34NRXL76  8ohm.JPG
    SB34NRXL76 8ohm.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 92
Attached WinISD of the SB Acoustics SB24NRXL75-8 which has T/S parameters to achieve -3db at 43Hz in a 3cuft sealed box, and -3db at 31Hz in a 3cuft ported box tuned to 31Hz. A lower port tuning extends the down-slanting bass shelf and reduces the -3db frequency. Placing a speaker close to walls provides room bass gain starting around 100Hz-150Hz. It is often possible to adjust the port tuning(bass shelf) to complement the room bass gain and provide a flatter bass SPL curve at the lower port tuning when active equalization is not available.
Those curves are not what one would expect for a 12" woofer with an ideal sealed box volume (Q=0.7) of over 4 ft^3 varying a bit depending on the amount of stuffing. In a smaller box the Q should be greater than 0.7 not less and in a very much smaller than ideal vented box volume with high tuning there should be a large SPL bump as the port output adds to the not yet rolled off much cone output. Have you perhaps used the 12" subwoofer parameters by mistake?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.