Using 2 tweeters on a center speaker? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2004, 08:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Using 2 tweeters on a center speaker?

Hi Everyone.

Background:
I have a pair of car audio components (JBL GTO603.C - 4ohms) consisting of two 6 1/2 woofer and two 2 1/2 midrange/tweeters and two crossovers.

According to the Manufacture's website, the crossover has been designed for optimal voice transfer from woofer to mid/tweeter. the Mid/tweeter units have a response of 300Hz - 21.5kHz. So I'm guessing that the crossover point would be 1KHz~3kHz. Not sure.

Project:
What I want to do is use these components for my center speaker. In order to make the speaker 8 ohms, I will use all 4 speakers.

Question:
1) What would be the sonic advantages/disadvantages to have two mid tweeter units mounted vertically with one woofer mounted on each side. All on the same plan. I guess it would look like a plus sign configuration.

2) Would it be better to make a 3 panel front baffle. The center panel would be small (Width 4" Height 6"), and outer panels would be angle out pointing the woofers say 30degrees off center. Would this help time alignment or sound stage/Imaging.

Thanks for any help given.

Adrian
Old 27th January 2004, 09:45 PM   #2
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

Car audio speakers are not shielded, you will have to fix that. I know it's possible, but have never performed the procedure myself.

If I was in your place I would sell the JBLs and buy speakers that are more suitable for this application.

Dan
Old 27th January 2004, 09:54 PM   #3
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

wont simply putting some thin steel (or something similar) cups over the magnets make them shielded?
Old 28th January 2004, 01:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey Owdi,

you're definitely right about the shielding problem.

Tomorrow I will look into the price of either bucking magnets or magnetshields.

It's just I'll lose to much selling them. Plus I like their sound.
I also figured it would be a nice diy project to try.

It's hard to determine ahead of time what to mid/ tweeters vertically aligned will do.

I think imaging will remain central since they are vertically aligned and near ear level.

Worst situation, I can always replace the woofers with shielded ones. I have a 5" shielded woofer on order from ebay, so it will be a good side by side comparions with the orignal 6.5".

I think it will be a fun project.

But does anyone have an opinion on angling the woofers out and if that would be beneficial.

Thanks,

Adrian

Hide this!Advertise here!