Does anybody recognize this project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have encountered a secondhand pair of large DIY loudspeakers. They are magnificently made. If the builder (I found them in Durham, NC USA) is listening, excellent work!

I'm wondering whether they were a published project so I can get some information on them. The 3" dome midranges are labelled Vifa F75MX-30. The tweeters have no manufacturer's name on them but the printed tag is identical to the Vifa's and it says D25TG-55, which gets a lot of search hits as a Vifa part.

The woofer is a little more mysterious. It is 12" diameter with a textured cone. The frame is stamped but the motor is good and heavy. The sticker on it says, in large type, 12728, and in smaller type,
12728 8 ohm
67-95020014 65

The cabinet is just short of a meter tall, including a base of a couple of inches, and 14.5 inches wide. The crossover is pretty elaborate, lots of parts.

Is this enough to ring any bells with anyone?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I can't find anything at all on the woofer, only one hit that makes it look like an Infinity part, which doesn't make much sense, as I think that'd say Inifnity on the dust cap.

Edit: Woops, sorry, 5:30 AM eyes, missed DJK on the woofer.

A series of good pictures of the cabinet, crossovers and drivers would probably help immensely.

Just curious what a picture of a 1m-tall 14.5"-wide cabinet with a 12" woofer, a 3" dome mid, and an ordinary tweeter would add to the description already?

As for sound, I haven't seriously attended to them yet but they do sound good, although the upper midrange is a little hot.

D76MX%20(2).JPG

Looking for specs

I also have woofers (2) with the number 12728 on it. I had an enclosure (before I knew better) that was made out of particleboard, it sounded great! - But we had a small flood (4") but just enough to swell and destroy the cabinet. I would like to build a proper one but I can't find any specs on that speaker so I can size the cabinet properly - does anyone have any info?
Hank

Hey Baron, about those speakers: These boxes are 11" deep, 14.5" wide, and 36.5 high on the outside. They have a bit of bracing in them and a bit of fiberglass -- not really stuffed. No port, they're closed.

The bass is smooth all the way down. It may be that the original builder had the info and made them by the book. There is no boom, and you might want to make your boxes a little smaller if you want a little bump. I might, if I were doing it.

So there's an experiential data point for you. I cleaned out the local thrift store's stock of large no-fi boxes for experimenting with an 8" driver. I don't suppose they'd have anything big enough for playing with a 12" driver, unless you go over to where the dishwashers are.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.