Looking for a mid driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well,recently i revised a old 3-way construction i build in the early
eighties if im remembering correctly. The speaker used were
MHD24TDSM and MHD12FSM-AC from Audax and the first MCD-25
titan-dome tweeter from MB.
It was a rather big box i have to admit,around 65 liters netto for the
bass alone and the crossover network was 18dB/Oct. with some
additional filtering for impedance and level correction.
However,it was a good sounding one with good SPL and power
handling and i build it a couple times for friends and friends of friends.

Well,anyway,more to the point,while the bass is still in production and
the tweeter can easily be replaced by another good one (there is a
buckload of really good 1 inch tweeters out there meanwhile),im having
a hard time to find a replacement for the MHD12FSM-AC.
But probably im seeing the wood not for the trees here. Im looking for
a 4 inch mid with 92dB/W/m and linear response roughly from 400 to
4000 Hz. Help please.

Wow,not a single reply in all those months. .. if im remembering correctly ... MHD12FSM-AC

Friedell, If you did a Google search and visited the Audax website you would know that no standard Audax MHD12FSM exists. BAD MEMORY? Wrong number? Custom order number? Pull the speaker and check.

Unless you want to design a completely new crossover, you will need to purchase an EXACT match to your "MHD12FSM-AC". So.... you will need to measure the T/S parameters of the remaining good MHD12FSM and search for a replacement. If the price is modest, you may want to replace both.

Measuring Thiele / Small Loudspeaker Parameters
Measuring Loudspeaker Driver Parameters

The midrange is probably MHD 12 P 25 FSM. As Linesource tells you, a new filter have to be made if you don't find a midrange that exactly matches the Audax on the electrical and acoustical parameters. An alternative could be to get the old ones restored like here Proraum Vertriebs-GmbH | AUDAX MHD12P25 Reparatur/Reconing or here Lautsprecherreparaturen.
If it is only the surround that needs refurbishment, maybe this one can be something for you Audax MHD 12 P25 FSM Hoch Mittelton Sicken Kit 2 x 96 | eBay
A third option would be to buy second hand drivers Hp audax mhd 12 25 fsm Image & Son Indre-et-Loire - leboncoin.fr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.