Matching Scanspeak D2008/8511

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everybody and Thanks for accepting me in the group!

Simple question: I have a pair of Scanspeak D2008/8511 ( the ones without ferro fluid) and I would like to use them in a 2 ways system+ subwoofer.
i would like to use an almost full range speaker as mid, with Hi cut around 5000 Hz and Lo cut around 100 Hz.
Any suggestion for the right mid-woofer to match with the D2008?

Many Thanks and Greetings from Italy

My suggestion would be to look at the SB Satori series of drivers. I have used the Scan Speak Illuminator 12MU midrange for this kind of setup. Crossed at 5KHz it worked really fine. Only it is made as midrange, but still it has got +/-3mm xmax. I can really recommed this, if you dont load the triver to hard at low frequences. Else I would look into the smaller woofers from wavecor.

with Hi cut around 5000 Hz and Lo cut around 100 Hz.
Is there a reason why you want a 5KHz crossover point? Apart the problem with huge value components for a 100Hz crossover, finding a driver working between 100Hz and 5KHz AND with a dispersion at 5KHz pretty equivalent to a tweeter is really difficult. If you relax your requirements and accept a 2.5-3.0KHz crossover, that the SS tweeter should surely sustain with a LR4 slope, you'll find that most if not all 5" midwoofers are suitable (not mid though, as the 100Hz requirement is too low). The 5" Satori, suggested by Hylle, could be an excellent choice, if you can find one.

Ralf

Is there a reason why you want a 5KHz crossover point? Apart the problem with huge value components for a 100Hz crossover, finding a driver working between 100Hz and 5KHz AND with a dispersion at 5KHz pretty equivalent to a tweeter is really difficult. If you relax your requirements and accept a 2.5-3.0KHz crossover, that the SS tweeter should surely sustain with a LR4 slope, you'll find that most if not all 5" midwoofers are suitable (not mid though, as the 100Hz requirement is too low). The 5" Satori, suggested by Hylle, could be an excellent choice, if you can find one.

Ralf

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.
@Ralf: I would like to get a result as much similar as possible to a full range-one way system, but without its limitations on the upper and lower range.
That's the reason why I would like to hi pass the mid woofer at 5Khz. My feeling (to be confirmed after listening and measuring) is that maybe I could gain coherence in the most critical part of the audio spectrum.
Does it make sense in your opinion?

Thanks and Regards

Unfortunately this is not true. Your speaker won't be a full range (*), and crossing at 5KHz the lobing you'll have are very narrow, so even small head movement can change the result. What I mean is that what seems a flat FR on axis can change dramatically even few degree off axis giving dips and nulls. A proper (**) crossover at 2.5-3KHz should give better results in this area.

Ralf

(*) If you want something similar to that search for a FAST (=fullrange and subwoofer technology or something like that), with a 3-4" fullrange driver crossed at the baffle step frequency (baffle dependent but in the 300-500Hz region) to a woofer. But this design won't use a tweeter at all (and this is the beauty of the design).

(**) Meaning a crossover tailored for the drivers and baffle you're using, forget about the nonsense of the crossover calculators.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.