multi strand inductor coils... opinions please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've just bought some intertechnik inductors, 1.8mh .5dcr air cores, these were cheap second hand so I figured they were worth a punt.

I'm a but thrown off as it appears to be a multi-strand winding (7strands, not individually insulated).

Any advice info or opinions?

Never encountered any kind of multi strand inductor before so any and all info/advice is appreciated

according the link they are litz wire , (litz lowers conductor losses due to skin effect) not a game changer for speaker stuff. may appeal to part fetish types although copper foil looks cooler IMO.

an audio inductor is supposed to increase impedance to higher frequencies, so using litz wire is redundant. now for transformers and RF resonant tanks they are very useful.
any claims from intertechnik are purely sales puffery

Last edited:
really need individual insulation for best advantage re skin effect

"bunch wiring" is a poor man's Litz - larger fewer insulated conductors without special weave that Litz uses to make sure the conductors are well spatially averaged

in a bunch winding some strands may be more "inside" than others with no particular attention having been paid

but still an improvement over solid wire for Eddy current and Skin/Proximity losses

an audio inductor is supposed to increase impedance to higher frequencies, so using litz wire is redundant. now for transformers and RF resonant tanks they are very useful.

Increase impedance certainly, increase losses (which is what skin/proximity effect are) not necessarily. More losses means lower Q as the frequency goes up, it can be an issue for very low DCR multi-layer coils wound with thick wire.

What little education I have would suggest that all these effects are irrelevant in xo design.

I go by inductance and dcr primarily, hysteresis secondly, and at a third level am concerned with distortion anomalies.

I guess my question was why not just use a thicker wire, and I can only presume you'd manufacture with multi strand to save money. Plus, my intuition says thid is poor practice... so my real question is what potential distortion anomalies are in my blind spot here and can you point out.

At this point it seems like a good inductor but nothing special... I'll be trying it in a 2nd order xo shortly (acoustic and electric) along with the audyn plus caps... I'll measure them too and let you know what I think/find

Here's a real-world example for the nay-sayers to chip in on and answer.

My B&W CM1s have an 820g multilayer air-cored inductor wound with 1.7mm diameter solid copper wire. The DCR measures 240mohms and the inductance is 1.5mH at 50Hz. What's the AC resistance at 10kHz?

I'm amazed that in this day of such improved communication that even the most rudimentary look at inductors would show that this is a whole field of study and not just a brief few words and a simple formula - inductors, like any other component come in all sorts of flavours and are not just a number and a few turns of wire - sheesh!

Now, if you're using a low resolution system and playing 'head-banger' music, any old choke will do as sound quality isn't all that critical - surprisingly, a lot of 'high brow' music listeners use this very same sort of low resolution components and call it hifi, and again, the quality of the chokes needn't be, and usually isn't, very high at all.

Multi-stranded wiring of inductors (bi & tri filar for power chokes, for example) has been around for ever and has a number of advantages but usually the cost makes it not a commercial prospect - it's the same thing with the more commercial 1:1stack ratios, square formers, slug loading, etc, etc

I used bunch winding in a 100 kHz xfmr for a piezoelectric energy conversion experiment

high Q inductance is needed in the Quad style feedforward audio amp output combining inductor for the bridge balance relation

for multi driver dynamic speaker XO I would guess copper AC losses could be included in the design if they impact your response tolerances

I have seen claims of 0.1 dB accuracy in XO - do they custom build for your home's pressure altitude?

Now, if you're using a low resolution system and playing 'head-banger' music, any old choke will do as sound quality isn't all that critical

And a superexpensive stranded wire choke will give me more resolution?

abraxalito said:
You're not interested in the loss at 2kHz?

No, because if it's loss then it shows in the frequency response then I can compensate with another inductor (or capacitor, or resistor).

stick to OPs subject folks
<speaker LPF using 1-2 mH >
I used and seen lots and lots of litz wire used in all sorts of things , and seen where it could be used but they didn't.

I seen an elliptical LPF targeting a notch for a metal cone woofers breakup zone, but they used a laminated core with regular higher gauge wire,

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.