Can somebody educate me on router rabbit bit usage? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2004, 04:59 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Is it very difficult to do with a non-plunge router? Cant you just drop it into place?

I am thinking about buying the Jasper Jig from P.E. since I cant make a circle for squat, and the 1/4" MDF home made one doesnt work well for me.

Will I NEED a plunge router?
Old 26th January 2004, 05:09 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
Seriously Jim, if you have a plunge router, a circle jig and a straight bit is all you need for making a large variety of rabbets and cut outs in 1/16" increments. Granted, it's $40 from Parts Express but if you're planning on continuing in this hobby it's money well spent.
In the future I'm going to try that, but since I already have a pair of 3" holes staring at me, it's not going to help me for this particular project.

Plus, there are still plenty of other times where a rabbet would come in handy, so I'd like to have one in my posession.
Old 26th January 2004, 05:14 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I already have a pair of 3" holes staring at me
Ah, understood. Good luck!
Old 26th January 2004, 05:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tacomaboy
Is it very difficult to do with a non-plunge router? Cant you just drop it into place?

I am thinking about buying the Jasper Jig from P.E. since I cant make a circle for squat, and the 1/4" MDF home made one doesnt work well for me.

It's designed to be used with a plunge router. Many manufacturers sell plunge attachments. I've never tried it any other way. You'd have to replace the plate with the jig and adjust the depth which would be a bit tricky. I've never considered it.
Old 26th January 2004, 05:23 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

From my understanding the only difference between a plunge and non-plunge router is that a plunge router sits on a suspension that lets it plunge into place. My router did come with a removable bottom plate, and I am sure the jig would fit, but actually placing it on the board to be cut would be trickier.
Old 26th January 2004, 05:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
Originally posted by tacomaboy

A plunge router makes it a lot easier. Amazon.com has a great deal on a nice hitachi plunge router for $159 (70% off list price), if you don't want to go all out and get either the Bosch kit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00005RHPD

or the excellent new Porter-Cable kit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...qid=1075141685

Hitachi router:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B0000223K9

Amazon also has the Japser circle jigs for cheaper than P.E. I got this one for $19: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00009K77D

Don't forget to use the $25 off $199 coupon if your order is $199 or more. Also, if you don't have one yet, you can get $30 off your order for getting an Amazon.com credit card which has no anual fee and no interest for a while. (No, I don't work for Amazon, I just like good deals.)

I usually cut the circle hole out first then us a rabbeting bit, but if you don't have the right rabbeting bit you can do what the other guy was saying with the circle bits. (Except if you already have the holes cut it'd be a lot easier to use the rabbet bit).

I got my "rabbeting kit" here: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ges/katbt3.htm
I definately recomend it, one bit with a set of bearings that let you make different size rabbets. The "Katana" bits are nice good quality bits. You could probably find a rabbet bit for a lot less though, I like the kit. Always use 1/2" shank bits instead of 1/4" shank bits if you can help it.
Old 26th January 2004, 05:58 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to critofur Send a message via MSN to critofur Send a message via Yahoo to critofur
Quote:
Originally posted by NoTalent
I would do what Davey and Timn8ter said. All you would have to do is go purchase some more MDF (if that's what you are using). It probally would be cheaper than buying a rabbeting kit.

On another note--what types of bits do you use on MDF? I have a HSS bit that my dad gave me and it burns like crazy. Would a carbide bit not burn, or should I cut less at a time (was doing about 1/4").

-NoTalent
Oh goodness yes, carbide bits are far far better. If you're just going to use it this once then I suppose it's best to do whatever is most cost effective, but if you're going to be doing more of these sorts of projects then you'll appreciate having the rabbeting kit set. If you want to save $11 you can get the "regular" MLCS kit instead of the "Katana" one ~ it's $25 for either the #8668 or #8667 kits which both can do 5/16". If your router has only 1/4" collet then you'll need to get a kit with a 1/4" shank of course... If can afford it I'd recomend the more versitile (more bearings) #8366 at the bottom of the page for $30.95. I think MLCS has free shipping, takes anywhere from a few days to a week to get your order in my experience.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ng_kits_anchor

Old 26th January 2004, 07:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by critofur

Oh goodness yes, carbide bits are far far better. If you're just going to use it this once then I suppose it's best to do whatever is most cost effective, but if you're going to be doing more of these sorts of projects then you'll appreciate having the rabbeting kit set. If you want to save $11 you can get the "regular" MLCS kit instead of the "Katana" one ~ it's $25 for either the #8668 or #8667 kits which both can do 5/16". If your router has only 1/4" collet then you'll need to get a kit with a 1/4" shank of course... If can afford it I'd recomend the more versitile (more bearings) #8366 at the bottom of the page for $30.95. I think MLCS has free shipping, takes anywhere from a few days to a week to get your order in my experience.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ng_kits_anchor

Nice kit!

Thanks for the advice. I will have to stew on spending another 180 bucks for a router, I still need a table saw... but 19 bucks for a jig is certainly helpful!
Old 26th January 2004, 07:40 PM   #19
usekgb is offline usekgb  United States
diyAudio Member

I wound up getting the Ryobi plunge router from Home Depot for $99. It's not the greatest router in the world, but it gets the job done. I also use the Jasper Jig to cut the flush mount first, then cut the hole. You'll have to use a rabbiting bit for now, but I would recommend getting the Jasper if you plan on doing any future projects.

Cheers,
Zach
Old 26th January 2004, 08:18 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Something else to consider is using bits with a 1/2" shank. Less vibration and less likely to snap on you.

Hide this!Advertise here!