Open Baffle Line Array - using cheap drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to the world of DIY audio, and I am looking to build my first set of speakers. Creating an enclosure of the correct size goes beyond my woodworking skills and knowledge of speakers as of right now, so the idea of an Open Baffle seems very appealing. Also, since I want to use cheap drivers for my first speaker, and I decided a line array would be an interesting way to go.

I recently found these speakers:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Specifications:
*Power Handling: 5 watts RMS/10 watts max
*VCdia: 3/4"
*Le: .60 mH
*Znom: 8 ohms
*Re: 7.50 ohms
*Frequency range: 75-15,000 Hz
*Fs: 105 Hz
*SPL: 86 dB 2.83V/1m
*Vas: .08 cu. ft.
*Qms: 5.0
*Qes: .90
*Qts: .76
*Xmax: 1 mm
*Driver Dimensions: A: 4", B: 3-11/16", C: 2-1/4".

Since they are 8 ohm, if I wired 4 of them together, I could get the total resistance to be 8ohms also, right (series, then parallel)?I am not expecting amazing sound out of these speakers, as this is more of a learning experience, but would they sound decent?

Again, I know very little about speakers, so would these work well with an open baffle? What is the best method to cut circles in the wood? I have heard people talk about using a router....but i'm not sure how you make holes with it. If anyone has links to basic woodworking sites related to making speaker enclosures, it would be much appreciated!

I may be totally on the wrong track, so feel free to make any comments/suggestions! Thanks.

cheap array

hi,

check out this thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7709

Tom used a very similar version of a cheap Parts Express 4" full range. Look at the entire thread. He paid a lot of attention to detail and I picked up a wealth of ideas and improvements to what I was considering.

I considered doing a cheap line array with the same speakers you're looking at. I emailed Tom to ask how they sounded a few days ago, but haven't gotten an answer yet. In the end I decided to go with five Audax 4.5" mid/woofers (269-434) and 24 of the Onkyo tweeters (269-702) in an array.

Also for cutting small holes a plain hole cutter with an electric drill would work fine. Go to the library and look at the books on basic cabinetry and carpentry.

Last and far, far from least try to get planet10's attention, he really knows his stuff.

Best,
Ralph

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My first line array was about 25 years ago before I knew the term. I was using a really great little 5" driver from Radio Shack, yes RS. I never looked into who made it but it had a cast aluminum basket and an aluminum voice coil cap. For that long ago it was a great driver. I used them as midranges for other projects 'cause they were both heavy duty and a really decent midrange. They had JBL looking white cones and a JBL looking frame. Not to mention the aluminum voice coil cap. Hmmm...
When grandmother died, the inheritance allowed me to put eight of those into each sealed tower [deep and skinny] box. That was really cool. I had an SAE 400wpc power amp and these little things did themselves proud. Loud and proud in fact.

One problem:

My other project at that time was 10" 2 way that used [embarrassed, don't remember the woofer, Oaktron (silly square magnet) maybe?] with Coral dome tweeters and a so-so Xover.

While I like the line array effect, this was a sad comment on "more doesn't mean better" They could handle all I could throw at them, but they didn't sound as good as my 2 way. For just that reason, it was a full range. One unit doesn't cut it. Wanna talk the Bose 9 series?

Take all your bucks and put into a solid two way system. It's your first project. Play on your second one.

Happy cranking,
Cal

giambi77,

Some time ago I have ordered 32 of these buyouts because they're so darn cheap! I haven't gotten to even testing them but plan on making 2 16-driver (you read that right) line arrays. Or I'll be modest and make 8 4-driver lines...
You see, the 16-driver array (when wired appropriately) still maintains the 8-ohm impedance of a single driver. And so does 32, 64, 128...you get the idea.

Just my thoughts.

I'm not sure if you've seen this post on the partsexpress board, but here's a link to what Rick Craig had to comment on using cheap drivers for a line array

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=154407

I think a couple weeks ago a lot of people were thinking about using those onkyo's as a line array. After his post, people stopped talking about it.
I trust his opinion, he has a lot of experience building line arrays and has some darn nice designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.