Pushed In Cones - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2004, 07:23 PM   #1
Bider is offline Bider  United States
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Pushed In Cones

Please tell me there is a way to pull a cone back out that's been pushed in (my 2 year old son). I have a pair of Infinity towers with 6" woofers. The cone appears to be made of a dense foam, not paper.
Old 25th January 2004, 09:56 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You've probably got nothing to lose now... Try sucking them out by placing a vacuum cleaner in the middle/apex of the dome. I have done this on a few large dust caps.
Old 25th January 2004, 10:26 PM   #3
Guss is offline Guss  Canada
diyAudio Member

I use a flared port as a straw to suck out the dustcap.
Old 26th January 2004, 01:48 AM   #4
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
Default Re: Pushed In Cones

Quote:
Originally posted by Bider
Please tell me there is a way to pull a cone back out that's been pushed in (my 2 year old son). I have a pair of Infinity towers with 6" woofers. The cone appears to be made of a dense foam, not paper.

No sweat, it's just a mod!

If those two fail, consider poking a tiny hole in the center of it, then inserting a bent safety pin to pull it out.

If that doesn't work either, cut the cone off with a knife, and make a plug.

Dave
Old 26th January 2004, 03:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default wait 'til he hits puberty

let's see, I have survived, at least until now, 3 male youths -- the first set of pushed in cones was in some KEF B110's -- I used the glass globe from a hurricane lamp to suck out the cone!

2 years old, huh, do they still make zwieback cracker? -- the only substance known to man which can't be removed from parental clothing!

when he gets to college you can finally take the grills off your speakers.
Old 26th January 2004, 10:34 AM   #6
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

The best for me and my 1 .5 year old who enjoyed punching my dust caps is a plastic suction cup like the ones used to attach to glass.If you wet it a tiny bit it has great pulling power.
Old 26th January 2004, 01:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

for dust caps, I have used 3 methods

1- vacuum cleaner

2- sucked (yep!)

3- carefully placed the corner of a square piece of gaffa tape on the dust-cap, and pulled it back out, gently.
Old 26th January 2004, 01:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
I bought a pair of Boston Acoustics T-830s off the showroom floor of a local audio shop (that I was later employed at), and the dust cap for the midrange was pushed in. I tried the vacuum trick with no luck, so what I did was tore off a couple inches of duct tape. I pressed the duct tape firmly onto the dustcap without causing it to indent any further, then I simply tugged on the duct tape. The dustcap pulled right out, and I peeled the duct tape off.

Later on when I worked at the same store, I fixed MANY dustcaps the same way. It works great regardless of whether it's a soft dustcap like it was on my Boston, or a firm one like on larger woofers, because you can press as hard as you need to on the duct tape.
Old 26th January 2004, 01:58 PM   #9
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default reply

Five methods of restoring dust cap to normal shape.

1. speakers with vented pole pieces are good because you take a thin paint brush and push it through the vented pole piece and stroke back the dustcap with the brush.

2. use a very powerful/powerful vaccum cleaner with a small attachment,hold it and switch on[do not do this on tweeters or delicate midrange drivers].

3. use some adhesive tape and stick to the dustcap and gently pull.

4. get a needle,make a small hole in the centre of the cone and push the dustcap back to normal position,then put a blob of glue on pin sized hole on dustcap to seal it up.

5. last resort,remove dustcap carefully and use old dustcap as a template to make new one out of 'sugar' paper or thin felt.
Old 26th January 2004, 02:01 PM   #10
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I have to vote for the tape method too. It's worked for me on many occasion (again caused by a 2-3 year old - why do they find it so appealing!?!)

If it's an uncoated paper dustcap then I would be inclined to try the vacuum first.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)

Hide this!Advertise here!