Pushed In Cones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bider said:
Please tell me there is a way to pull a cone back out that's been pushed in (my 2 year old son). I have a pair of Infinity towers with 6" woofers. The cone appears to be made of a dense foam, not paper.

No sweat, it's just a mod! ;)

If those two fail, consider poking a tiny hole in the center of it, then inserting a bent safety pin to pull it out.

If that doesn't work either, cut the cone off with a knife, and make a plug.

Dave

wait 'til he hits puberty

let's see, I have survived, at least until now, 3 male youths -- the first set of pushed in cones was in some KEF B110's -- I used the glass globe from a hurricane lamp to suck out the cone!

2 years old, huh, do they still make zwieback cracker? -- the only substance known to man which can't be removed from parental clothing!

when he gets to college you can finally take the grills off your speakers.

I bought a pair of Boston Acoustics T-830s off the showroom floor of a local audio shop (that I was later employed at), and the dust cap for the midrange was pushed in. I tried the vacuum trick with no luck, so what I did was tore off a couple inches of duct tape. I pressed the duct tape firmly onto the dustcap without causing it to indent any further, then I simply tugged on the duct tape. The dustcap pulled right out, and I peeled the duct tape off.

Later on when I worked at the same store, I fixed MANY dustcaps the same way. It works great regardless of whether it's a soft dustcap like it was on my Boston, or a firm one like on larger woofers, because you can press as hard as you need to on the duct tape.

Five methods of restoring dust cap to normal shape.

1. speakers with vented pole pieces are good because you take a thin paint brush and push it through the vented pole piece and stroke back the dustcap with the brush.

2. use a very powerful/powerful vaccum cleaner with a small attachment,hold it and switch on[do not do this on tweeters or delicate midrange drivers].:att'n:

3. use some adhesive tape and stick to the dustcap and gently pull.

4. get a needle,make a small hole in the centre of the cone and push the dustcap back to normal position,then put a blob of glue on pin sized hole on dustcap to seal it up.

5. last resort,remove dustcap carefully and use old dustcap as a template to make new one out of 'sugar' paper or thin felt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.