UK DIYers want Panasonic electrets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use 0.25" brass tubing for my mic wands, and it's available from good model shops. At one end I have a miniature 2 pin skt (0.1" pin spacing) to take plug-in mic capsules, and at the other I use a DC power connector of the type you find on power connectors for tranny radios. The power connector fits a treat in the 0.25" tubing, and may be soldered into position. You can obtain threaded camera adaptors for a few pence (well .... p'raps a little more) at photo shops, which can be attached to the wand, allowing easy mounting on a standard camera tripod.

For mic amplification I have a Mitey-Mike design, which I bought as a kit. It cost an arm and a leg, and is way over the top for LS testing. I have used a single MC33171 design, run on a 5v supply, which gave identical results. The Wallins designs fall somewhere in between these, so either should give you what you need. In general, the more complex designs offer a lower noise floor, which is not of much consequence if you're only going to use your mic for LS testing. One point though: don't rely on the mic input to a soundcard or laptop as the freq response often drops like a stone from as little as 5Khz, and even a cal file is unlikely to be able to recover a sufficiently reliable signal at HF.

I don't have a website to display anything, but I do have a zipfile I can send you with detailed jpegs of my mic bits and pieces. Also, I have a design for a portable testing amp, based on the LM380, if it would be of interest.

JTT (John Tiernan)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.