I got all excited.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just recently found an old pair of mirage 360's that my dad had. When i went to listen to em though, one of the speakers was blown, when i looked under the screen and looked at the speakers I noticed the midwoofer, was all torn up. Half of the surrounding foam was ripped. I tried to find some way to get these speakers open to mayb replace the drive, but was unable too.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to open the box.

also does anyone know the specific drivers that the mirage 360's use. so if at the very leats i can use the drivers here build a new box and maybe replace the midwoofer.

thnx a bunch

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, Your best bet if the mid surrounds are torn is to get a kit to replace the surround, not the entire driver. They usually cost about $25 for a kit for 2 drivers. This is assuming that only the surrounds are damaged -not the cones. This will be mightily cool- you get some great speakers for $25 and a bit of work.......don't know how to get the grille off though.....

Yeah i had thought about replacing the foam, but cant seem to get the drivers out of the box, and i definatly dont wanna break the box. Anybody had any experience with these speakers and possibly removing them.

Also i think the foam has completely come off of the cone, like the foam surround isnt attached anywhere on the cone (they have been sitting a long while).

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The foam coming all the way off is still OK. I wish I could help with advice on removing the grilles. Maybe a putty knife inserted and twisted... Changing to a new driver the same as the old will probably be pricey IF you can find it- replacing it with a similar driver will screw up the response big time.

i got one problem though, when i removed that foam thing ( which i assume is the gasket, there is a layer of like hard plastic like foam stuff and some old dried up glue. Do i need to scrape all this off until i get to the metal or should i just scrape the glue off, cause this little piece above the metal holds the foam up about a qurter inch, and seems like it would mess the speaker up if i removed it.

And also i am reading a thing on refoaming and it tells you o remove the dustcap, whats the importance of this?

thnx

You generally take the dustcap off to get access to the voice coil. During the refoaming, you need to keep the coil centered around the magnet's pole piece using shims. Once the foam is attached and the glue dried, you then remove the shims and glue on a new dustcap (or the old one if you didn't beat it up too much while removing it).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.