Rational Audiophile Loudspeaker System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, @classdpwr. We've conversed on the Rational Audiophile's blog. I do rather like your approach. Using the older MacBook Air is a solid idea as well. And not being tied to a single piece of hardware is very good as well. HDMI Audio is very novel and simple to get the multi-channel audio out of your computer without a multi-channel DAC etc.

Your AVR simplifies the process greatly -- it affords, multi-channel application, multi-channel DACs, multi-channel volume control into a single, inexpensive unit.

Yeah. I call it HDMI-ADS where the ADS stand for Active Digital Stereo.

Patents Pending :)

BTW -- I did decide to build the LXMini based on your suggestion and videos. I plan on adding a pair of subwoofers to help with the lower octaves. I'll post a picture of my system as it stands now when I get home.

I have to dismantle and sell my JBL horn system and work this in stages. Right now the IIR filters will be implemented in my MiniDSP 4x10 HD, with amplification being done with my Pioneer VSX D-912 (6 channels of amplification).

I have a bunch of other stuff to sell as well -- Sony TTS 3000a, SME Series IIIs arm and a pair of 300B tube amps.

Simplifying the whole system sounds great to me. I figure the exercise of building the LXMini first (being that I already purchased the plans) is not a bad thing. The drivers are sound, and I can add some LF reinforcement in the form of a 10" - 12" woofer -- still leaning toward the Peerless SLS line.

I may also experiment with the HDMI receiver and Mac approach a bit down the line. But one thing at a time.

First plan is to build the LX Mini speakers, powered by the 4x10 and Pioneer and then work on selling all of my other gear. Then revisit the speaker design, then add the Mac/HDMI power system. Sound reasonable?

The only problem is that is seems to easy and inexpensive. :)

Expensive boxy speaker Hi-Fi is obsolete :) All that's left to do now is the fun part - designing the driver enclosures. And we're not limited to rectangular boxes anymore due to cross-over flexibility allowed by digital solutions. Happy days indeed.

LX-Mini sounds good. I use 10" Peerless Woofers in relatively small boxes and then lift the EQ. The 10" don't really do anything above 45Hz. And I get the 5" mid-woofers to extend down to 45Hz or so. There is some limitation on how loud the whole system will play in this tuning but I'm not sure it matters so much. A full spectrum of reproduction - even at low volumes - seem to negate the need to turn it up the volume to *feel it*.

I believe, now, that ignoring the low end is just as bad as taking out the middle or chopping off the treble. It's hugely important for a full experience. Unfortunately it's the most difficult. I've got more money and physical space in reproducing <45Hz than the rest of the spectrum combined (almost). You can see why people choose to pretend that it's not that important. It's a PITA. The details are subtle but effective. Foot stomping. Bass drum omph. Thuds of various types. It's all very important IMO.

Bookshelf two-ways? No thanks.

Current Setup

Here is my current setup:

JBL 2226 15" LF drivers, 2445 2" CDs and 2405 Super Tweeters.

MiniDSP 4x10 HD does the IIR filters. Pioneer VSX-D912 amplifier tri-amps them. Protection caps on the MF and HF drivers.

Optical in from my Mac Pro for digital audio in and analog in through my turntable.

Attachments

• 2015-03-18 19.27.41.jpg
    2015-03-18 19.27.41.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 259
JBL 2226 15" LF drivers, 2445 2" CDs and 2405 Super Tweeters.

I have 2226 + 2453 + 2405 with 2245 sub-woofers so I like your choices;)

I have just started to look at how to expand this system to home theatre.
To add a 3 way centre plus 2 way surrounds plus low frequency channel means a lot of extra channels. Also latency of FIR filters is an issue.
You had any ideas about this?
I plan to build all the amps as dedicated multi-way mono-blocks for each speaker but the X-overs and equalization is still not worked out.

Best wishes
David

I have 2226 + 2453 + 2405 with 2245 sub-woofers so I like your choices;)

I have just started to look at how to expand this system to home theatre.
To add a 3 way centre plus 2 way surrounds plus low frequency channel means a lot of extra channels. Also latency of FIR filters is an issue.
You had any ideas about this?
I plan to build all the amps as dedicated multi-way mono-blocks for each speaker but the X-overs and equalization is still not worked out.

Best wishes
David

You can delay the video. I know VLC player has this feature. I don't see it being any more than a second of delay or so. There's also no real reason to use the FIR filters as far as I can tell.

Sounds like you'll have a whole lot of boxes!

LX Mini Built. With the Madisound Kit it went up really fast. First impression is that the sound is really quite good. Missing the mid-bass slam of my big horns, but that is to be expected. Bass is more subdued, but perhaps more natural.

Jazz sounds great; imaging is excellent. I'll need to both. It will be nice add the third-way to pick up the 20-45 Hz range.

Attachments

• 2015-03-21 14.07.19.jpg
    2015-03-21 14.07.19.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 197
Nice

Get a SPL mic and sweep the 15Hz to 100Hz spectrum manually (or the whole spectrum) and flatten it out with the mini-dsp.

Those 5" drivers can make complete bass. The only caveat is that they can only go so loud with the appropriate full range eq. But it might be plenty loud enough.

I use the scope in electro acoustics toolbox and a berringer 8000 (?) room mic. The one everyone seems to use.

You can delay the video. I know VLC player has this feature. I don't see it being any more than a second of delay or so.

Thanks, I assumed this is possible but it's one more complication to avoid if possible.
I would prefer to run direct from a disc player. Old fashioned I know, but Internet downloads here are slow, for both political and obscure corporate reasons.

There's also no real reason to use the FIR filters as far as I can tell.
This is not quite clear to me.
The attraction of DSP was partly for delay to compensate for the depth of the mid horn.
The increased flexibility of FIR filters just seemed the obvious next step.

Sounds like you'll have a whole lot of boxes!

Yes, that's what I want to minimize.
I will start a new thread and not hijack this one.
I look forward to your comments there.

Best wishes
David.

Last edited:
"I would prefer to run direct from a disc player. Old fashioned I know, but Internet downloads here are slow, for both political and obscure corporate reasons."

Then you need some fast IIR filters. Get an Mac Mini. Awesome. Comes with HDMI port. And a disc player. And you can still use VLC :)

"This is not quite clear to me.
The attraction of DSP was partly for delay to compensate for the depth of the mid horn.
The increased flexibility of FIR filters just seemed the obvious next step."

Whatever's easiest to get your hands on is probably best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.