Advice modding cheap speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 12 year old niece needs an airplay system for her bedroom. The main goal is cheap and appropriate. (T amp with a $30 airplay).

I have a free pair of Sony SS-B1000's speakers (typically $75 HTIB quality). Solid 1/2" MDF with a nice 5 1/4 woofer and a cap across the tweeter for a crossover. As expected, the mids were muddy/missing. I added a $10 2nd order 3.5 khz crossover from MCM and some egg crate behind the woofer. This made a dramatic improvement and the woofer/box sound very good given their humble origins. Now i have higher expectations for my $20 investment.

I understand that this is decidedly low brow for this forum, but I have read you posts to help in much more honorable quests in the past. I was thinking of replacing the tweeter with the Vifa Tymphany BC25SC06-04 and adding a 2 ohm resistor.(about $35). Is this the appropriate tweeter? Without detailed measurements is this fools errand? I think that the box and the woofer shows promise.

PS. I have Dennis Murphy's Affordable Accuracys on the way for my office system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.