Zaps Bargain Aluminum MTM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no experience in building speakers. However, I am looking to build a pair of bookshelf speakers for a new amp project that I am working on (Tubelab SimplseSE running KT88's with around 5 watts output in SE mode).

I plan the amp to be in smallish room (10 x 12 ft) with listening around 8 ft from the source. The speakers will be stood on shortish stands 8 inches or so from a brick fireplace area. So, large floorstanders will not work (my current ones residing with my main setup in my home office).

From what I can tell, Zaph's Bargain Aluminum MTM has decent bass extension for bookshelf speakers without subwoofer and their sensitivity looks like it is around 92 db (from my newbie interpretation of Zaph's posted graphs).

Has anyone used these speakers with low power SE amps?

I like this design from the simplicity of affordable drivers/parts and that the 1 cu foot cabinet from Parts Express seems to be the same dimensions as those specified in the original design.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Charlie

BAMTM-FR-modeled-onaxis.gif

That looks to be about 83 db 2.83v. You are looking at the impedance scale if you're thinking over 90 db. The woofers in parallel also make this a 4 ohm load that rises to over 10 ohms. Not sure what your tube amp requires on that end?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.