Integrating tweeter with Wolf's PC Speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amplifier: Lepai 2020+
Full ranges: Aurasound ns-3 8 ohm
subwoofer: Dayton dvc 8+8 ohms

Everything will be ran off that lil lepai. I know that Dayton isn't getting much power but my room is 11 x 11 lol. Pretty small.

Okay so the auras sound pretty good alone, but I decided to hook up a set of Vifa 4 ohm tweeters I had laying around and it sounded much better.

I'm too young yet to go tweeterless. Here are my tweeters that I have on hand:

https://www.parts-express.com/vifa-oc25sc65-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter--264-1018

I know mixing 4 and 8 ohm speakers isn't a good idea but I swear to God zaph used the nd20 from Dayton which is 4 ohms with his ns3 8 ohm speakers. His links break a lot so I can't find his schematics.

I'm certainly open to other tweeters if u think there are better options. Really wanna add some though.

Enclosure is sealed 4 x 4 x 4. I do have the 500uf caps on hand too. A hp would be ideal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 163
Amplifier: Lepai 2020+
Full ranges: Aurasound ns-3 8 ohm
subwoofer: Dayton dvc 8+8 ohms

Everything will be ran off that lil lepai. I know that Dayton isn't getting much power but my room is 11 x 11 lol. Pretty small.

Okay so the auras sound pretty good alone, but I decided to hook up a set of Vifa 4 ohm tweeters I had laying around and it sounded much better.

I'm too young yet to go tweeterless. Here are my tweeters that I have on hand:

https://www.parts-express.com/vifa-oc25sc65-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter--264-1018

I know mixing 4 and 8 ohm speakers isn't a good idea but I swear to God zaph used the nd20 from Dayton which is 4 ohms with his ns3 8 ohm speakers. His links break a lot so I can't find his schematics.

I'm certainly open to other tweeters if u think there are better options. Really wanna add some though.

Enclosure is sealed 4 x 4 x 4. I do have the 500uf caps on hand too. A hp would be ideal

Yep- Wolf here.

Zaph used the ND20FB-4 rear mount in his version here below. So- This is considered a starting point. I'm not saying this will sound good, and I know the baffle size is different as well from what he built.

FWIW- the 500uF cap is not just a highpass filter. It's a Passive Assist. It works with the driver's Qtc in the box along with the driver's Fs to boost/shelve the lowend, as well as changing the rolloff to an inherent 3rd order.

Best of luck,
Wolf

Attachments

• NS3-NDT20.gif
    NS3-NDT20.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 162
Need I change the volume of my enclosure? I'll be extending the baffle upwards so this is my chance.

Also I'm still learning physics. There isn't a hpf on the schematic is there? Well on the tweeter, yes but I don't see any capacitors in series with the woofer. That inductor is just a lpf. I believe capacitors in parallel with speakers act as a short, no? So isn't that acting as an l pad?

Hi Tyler,

Adding a tweeter to the NS3 is very advisable IMO. Since the tweeter is much louder than the woofer, it has to be attenuated and the impedance doesn't matter. There's nothing wrong in trying your Vifa tweeter.

Unfortuately I can't follow in respect of the volume. Is 4" an overall or inside dimension? What's the wall thickness? Why does the box on the picture look different?

Zaph doesn't use a high-pass filter in his design. That's only an option for very small volumes in the range of 0.5 liters (0.018 cu ft).

Awesome! I just noticed the Vifa tweeter in my posession and the Dayton that zaph used have the same sensivity, so that l pad should work ...or at least I hope since the resistors will be in the mail tomoorrow:)

4" x4" x4" are the internal dimensions of my enclosures. They are actually Wolf's desogm/ He uses 500uF capacitors on each Aura speaker in them sealed enclosures. I need some kind of hpf. They are reaching x max before they umm acoustically distort ...I mean if I turn the bass down, I can keep cranking on the volume pretty far til I get distortion in the voice frequencies.

I have them playing without any filter now. I am getting this weird noise though. Like the cone itself is resonanating at certain frequencies. It is secured tightly. I did try stuffing the enclosure which didnt help. Maybe this is breakup? Never did this in the ported enclosure i made earlier

And my ipod was being werid. That picture is actually my subwoofer box ha. It's a dayton dvc 8 which will be here in the morning!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.