Pics - new 4 way horn system, Azura

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Usually due to diffraction from horn bodies.

A pretty dumb reason to sacrifice "natural" order and force digital - even when listening to analog sources..........

It isn't as if diffraction HAS to be an issue when using horns in the proper range.

My experience is that the digital crossover screws up a lot more than it solves. It is handy when prototyping the system, but easily replaced by something sounding MUCH better.

I f someone ONLY listens to digital source AND converts to analog only once before the signal goes to the speaker, (or amp if the speaker is not active), perhaps the result could be OK.

New stand in Walnut with Faital Pro tweeter horn cnc'd into the front.

Attachments

• new stand.jpg
    new stand.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 468
  • new stands 2.jpg
    new stands 2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 463
  • new stands 3.jpg
    new stands 3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 451
Very beautiful plywood from the land Down'Under!
Didn't see too much of that in the Hobit movies :)

atilsley,

Have you made major design changes from post #1?
OR, is this a second design you are also working on?
Analog or Digital Xover?
Tubes or Transistors?
Vinyl LPs or Digital Music Server?

Looks like the Faital STH100 1" Tractrix Horn
Are you using a Faital compression driver? Plastic or Ti?

I have been experimenting with 15Khz-20Khz boost on 1.4" Faital HF146 - Ketone Polymer plastic dome in a borrowed LeCleach horn hoping to avoid a supertweeter. Not much success. Boosting the 1.4" at 12-15Khz creates very noticable beaming. "Throwing in" a super tweeter at 12Khz just sounds broken.

OT ...philosophy pictures I should have inserted in last post...

Attachments

• Maltese Tubes.jpg
    Maltese Tubes.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Bits of Beauty.jpg
    Bits of Beauty.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 402
  • Groovy Curves.JPG
    Groovy Curves.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 418
Just enhancing the original design

Six channel Holton amp, with the tweeter and 340 horn running off one channel

Yes, FP tweeter horn, but Selenium driver (for now)...will swap for FP later, although Selenium calf to 18k.

Retaining active xover now via minidsp, but will soon add passive for mid bass and top two horns, then couple four channels into two for the bass (EV 18 inch).

Vinyl more for fun now...not sure if I'll invest heavily.

I love Spotify...suits my joy of flicking channels...!

Would like to upgrade DAC.

Very beautiful plywood from the land Down'Under!
Didn't see too much of that in the Hobit movies :)

atilsley,

Have you made major design changes from post #1?
OR, is this a second design you are also working on?
Analog or Digital Xover?
Tubes or Transistors?
Vinyl LPs or Digital Music Server?

Looks like the Faital STH100 1" Tractrix Horn
Are you using a Faital compression driver? Plastic or Ti?

I have been experimenting with 15Khz-20Khz boost on 1.4" Faital HF146 - Ketone Polymer plastic dome in a borrowed LeCleach horn hoping to avoid a supertweeter. Not much success. Boosting the 1.4" at 12-15Khz creates very noticable beaming. "Throwing in" a super tweeter at 12Khz just sounds broken.

OT ...philosophy pictures I should have inserted in last post...

Reconfigured the system with the 160 now on top...pretty big...

Big woofers produce Big vibrations.(without counter-force). With the Large 160 horn on top, do you hear any sound stage wiggle or waggle?

Big horn on bottom.
Tweeter at ear level.
Medium horn on top.
Woofer(s) on the side? Woofer(s) toward the rear? Unsymmetrical woofer placement?

You may have to knock down a wall for your Art :)

Had high hopes for that driver. Other than beaming how does it sound in the rest of the pass band?

Had high hopes for that driver. Other than beaming how does it sound in the rest of the pass band?

The 1.4" Faital HF146 compression driver uses a Ketone Polymer diaphragm. In a JMLC 400 horn the SPL starts to drop at 12Khz, and has a few SPL bumps between 14-16KHz, but not the nasty break-up spikes common in titanium diaphragms. A simple linear slope boost which attempts to provide a flat SPL from 12Khz to 20Khz+ amplifies these old "few bumps" and also "shows off" the directional beaming from 16-18Khz which I believe the LeCleach curve naturally produces. From 800Hz to about 14Khz the HF146 has a "warm and neutral" sound, and I think this help them blend with a paper cone midbass. Sine wave tests below ~800Hz have irregular resonances... sounds bumpy.

Polar plots show the LeCleach horn to be more directional at high frequencies than a round oblate spheriod waveguide. The OS waveguide has a larger SPL drop at high frequencies than LeCleach, but wider polar response.

Attachments

• RK-HF144.jpg
    RK-HF144.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Diaphragm Materials.jpg
    Diaphragm Materials.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 151
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.