My current project vifa stand mount - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2004, 08:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My current project vifa stand mount

Here are some pics of my latest project in motion. I have just finished the raw MDF cabinets (took me two days). Bog standard MDF sqaure box with crossbrace in the middle, lined with vinyl flooring tiles. Someone said try em as damping mats so I thought Id give em a go. One word of warning if you do go for them there is an endless choice of pattern! dont get stuck thinking, I wonder if a dark colour will sound different. No doubt some of these crones will argue that blu makes the speakers relaxed sounding and serene, whilst red will give em a fierce edge! Anyway they are to be used with vifa C20WJ-19-08 8" bass and D25TG-05-06 tweeters. I picked these up on ebay for 50 the lot all unused, anyway they sound really good in a crap box with the KX doing xover so they should sound even better in a good one! The crap box didnt have a top! so therefore no bass.

Finish, right well the fronts are gonna be fake leather effect, like sonus faber cept they use cow and i dont. The rest maple burr french polished to a shine. I got the burr on ebay too, 40 square feet for 35. I hunted around and found the equivelant amount from a retailer to be 580 WOW bargain then if you ask me. Im now wating to recieve terminal cups and some screws from wilmslow audio (not ordered yet DOH!) before I go any further.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mylatest.jpg (40.3 KB, 259 views)
Old 23rd January 2004, 09:04 PM   #2
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Th cheapest and thinnest vinyl floor tiles are the best,
the really ugly stuff made for utility not appearance.

Three reasons :
1) price - weight per dollar/pound counts.
2)thinness - the thinner they are the better - layers = damping.
3)stiffness - cheap tiles use a lot of filler - they don't feel soft
underfoot but they are better as for damping pads.

sreten.
Old 23rd January 2004, 10:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well these are the cheapest nastyist tiles B&Q sold, you wouldnt catch me with these on my floor. How many layers would you recommend?, these are really thin tho 1.6mm or sumthing like that the thicker tiles cost much more. Maybe I got the wrong thing??

Hide this!Advertise here!