Which drivers for home theatre??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I would very much appreciate some help here.. I am planning to build my own speakers for a new HT project (my 1st.) I have done some basic research, and am considering using the MTM configuration for the 2 fronts, along with the same with a midrange for the centre.. I have two good two-ways I want to use for the surrounds (5.1). I do not know about a subwoofer.. (??).

I want to use high quality drivers, and have the x-overs made -I cannot do this myself.. I stink with electronics :(

So far, I like either the Focal 6W 4311B mid-bass, or the Vifa P17SJ-00-08 mid-bass. Both are shielded..

Are these good choices?? and what criteria do I use to pick tweeters for them??

Sorry for the basic questions.. I am on the botom of the learning curve. ..

Thanks!

Bruce :xeye:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wow this sounds a bit like me 6 months ago, although I was planning on doing the xovers myself. I got advised that the focal were hard to cross-over, but that shouldn't be a problem if you are outsourcing the xover design.

I was originally thinking focal 6W4311B mid bass and a Morel tweeter..... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18563&highlight= in a 3 way with my existing Vifa drivers.

My plans have changed somewhat.... I've now almost got around to ordering some morel MW-144 mid bass units and morel DMS37 tweeters, to be used in some mtm front's and I'll make some new cabinets for my 10" vifa's for stereo subs (oh and some sort of amp, active crossover the list goes on...... :) maybe I'll have finished by 2010!

So to get back to the topic :), the Focal's looked really good to me and were originally my first choice, reasonable sensitivity, response curve looks good, sheilded, etc, but the potential crossover problems (also mentioned on LDSG) in the end turned me off, and when I discovered MTM which I didn't know about before I joined this forum, all of a sudden lower sensitivity drivers didn't seem so bad to me, and the morel snuck in there.

Tony.

PS. If you haven't already found it check out LDSG http://ldsg.snippets.org/idx.php3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.