Modifying(upgrade) ProAc Studio 200?

The Alternative fix for the Proac Studio 200/250s

This may be of interest to anybody with an old pair of Proac Studio 200s or the later 250s - actually scrub that - an old pair of Proacs that utilize the Scanspeak 18W8542 foam surround paper cone.

I own a pair of Studio 200s in my office set-up and the foam edges have died again (they were replaced 6yrs ago)

For years I have always thought - what if they used another driver. I had spoken to Proac and Scanspeak about using an alternative driver with similar specs and both of them said the speaker would not be the same and don't do it...

S finally after 8 years ... I did. ':smash:'
(for fun of course) as I couldn't stand another nerve racking foam change.

I chose the 18W8545 as a replacement and purchased 4 over a period of time via ebay.

here is a series of photo's showing the transformation.
http://homepage.mac.com/stu.dio/proacstudio200/index.html

They sound just as lovely a little more bass has come into the picture, but it's early days in the testing/listening placement setup etc. Very very happy with the mod.

FYI - Since changing the drivers to 8545s and now the tweeters to scan speak 9500s I have gone the whole hog and changed the crossovers to the madisound premium Soloist xo - the speaker is absolutely stunning as a result - albeit no longer a proac 200. Internal wiring is vdh SCS 12 - xo for bass/mid encapsulated in resin to inner base of enclosure - tweeter section to inner top.

FYI - Since changing the drivers to 8545s and now the tweeters to scan speak 9500s I have gone the whole hog and changed the crossovers to the madisound premium Soloist xo - the speaker is absolutely stunning as a result - albeit no longer a proac 200. Internal wiring is vdh SCS 12 - xo for bass/mid encapsulated in resin to inner base of enclosure - tweeter section to inner top.
I am thinking about the same basics set of mods to my studio 200s with the current parts. Can you provide an update with your experience with those mods and would they hold up in 2022?